• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Random drug testing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wartrace

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

I work in a manufacturing plant. I do not operate any moving equipment on a regular basis. I was informed that after 15 years on the job that we will be subject to random drug testing.
The new testing requirements ONLY apply to front line supervisors and set-up technicians. The union complained that we were not being tested while their members who drive tow-motors are. I may operate a tow motor for a grand total of 10 minutes a year. Other people who may use a tow motor from time to time but not in this job are not subject to random testing.
Also, when there is a strike people from corporate are brought in to drive tow motors. They are not subject to random testing. People who drive company cars are not tested. People who travel for business and rent cars with company credit cards are not tested.
Safety and security people are not tested. (they drive carts around the factory).

Is it legal to single out employees for testing if others operate the same equipment or equipment that is more dangerous and are not tested?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal to have only certain job positions or departments subject to random testing, whatever their use of equipment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">