• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues at work.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strongwoman

What is the name of your state? California.

I have worked at a local hospital for over 2 years. I have received excellent employee evaluations prior to these current work related issues, and still received an above average annual evaluation recently. (I was expecting worse) Initially when first hired I was told that floor supervisors do not resolve issues of any sort, whether employee issue, patient care etc. I had just started, so I refused to allow myself to become biased. Up until recently I had faith that this was not true. Even as far as defending current floor management. But as most issues left unresolved, and the whole purpose for supervisors is to help keep work environments non chaotic and non hostile these issues began to implode. Being the good employee and known personally and professionally as being honest. direct and straight forward, when the grumbling began to get really bad, I approached manager and told him without giving names that he might need to sit down as a department and give employees an opportunity to express concerns and complaints. Because I did not give names, and this initiated for a time unit meetings where employees were encouraged to come forward and express themselves, I became quite "popular" on the floor. This seemed to work for a very short time. Again grumbling began and so did various employee conflicts, with a definite division of those with high work ethics, and those without. Many complaints were filed to unit manager with no resolution. I was approached again by co-workers to help them express themselves to management. Verifying with verbal and written known policies about filing complaints I helped employees do this, and also ended up filing a few of my own. Complaints ranged from breaking district policies, unit policies, and labor laws regarding breaks, to patient care. Bottom line I ended up with my first ever write-up. Being accused of stirring up contention on the floor. Also that my work ethics were not questioned but that my direct and too honest approach did not always sit well with co-workers. Since then I have now become the open target of those, "without high work ethics". Open remarks, and open put downs are frequent. Rules being broke are worse than ever before. Those of us with "high work ethics" are pretty much cowering and waiting for opportunities to transfer out of the unit.
I was told by manager that I was NOT liked at all on the floor, by any one, and that co-workers were 'chomping at the bit" to tell him complaints about me... But I seem to still have many loyal co-workers who are willing to stick-up for me and tell me that they never said anything like that to management, that during an internal investigation on me, that when they said positive things that the unit manager said, "are you sure?", "Because we are having a hard time finding anyone to say positive things about her." He also repeated things that other co-workers,” supposedly said", and even let some know that I was filing complaints on a lot of people, many of them felt he was really working to create animosity against me.. Work is now a division, gossip, employee misconduct and conflict run rampant, and right in the middle is management. Despite having a still above average annual evaluation, I am clinically superior they say, but need to learn my place on the unit. Speaking out and helping others to speak out is not one of them. I have been told that it is not my job description. What can I do if anything to help resolve these issues? I am not the only one affected by this on the unit, just the one currently the main target of management. Some say lay low and see if the attention on me get diverted, but it has been 3 months almost and the "heat" has not worn off. The work environment has NOT improved either. And yes I have already gone to HR about this, they are aware that I am concerned and uncomfortable with unit manager, but no real action on their part has been done. Most of these post say there is nothing you can do, but is that really fair when there is obvious harassment, favortism, bias, and unequal treatment of a group of employees. There must be something that can be done.

Listen to what your manager tells you. It is not your job description to complain constantly.

Do you honestly believe that anybody would not grow annoyed with someone constantly complaining to them without trying to resolve the issues on their own?

AL HR

And what is it that you want done? HR / Management has given you it's decision. It isn't going to interfere and feels things are fine. Bad management is bad management, but not illegal.

Your options are:
1. New job
2. Lay low and keep your mounth closed. Only speak about business issues at hand, no discussing complaints. You aren't a union steward, you shouldn't be acting as one.
3. Keep doing what you're doing until they get sick of it and terminate you.

Sorry to be blunt, but sometimes, that is what's needed.

CONSTRUCTIVE Advice

It is illegal to terminate someone for complaining about illegal activity the employer is engaged in or for reasons that violate public policy.

I am not sure what complaints you were making, but they cannot retaliate against you for complaining about wage & hour violations or other labor law violations. Additionally, you work in a hospital, so if your complaints are about something that puts a patient's life in danger, they are protected.

I hope you do not "shut up" as was advised in an earlier post, especially if these are the types of complaints you are making!

mitousmom

It is only illegal to retaliate against an employee for complainaing about illegal activity if the law grants that protection. Clearly, most employer behavior is not covered and nothing the OP cites appears clearly covered by any federal law or a retaliation provision. It appears that management is simply not running the unit up to her standards. It doesn't appear that she has any vocal, visible support from her co-workers or management; given that, it might be more practical for her to move on.

BelizeBreeze

It is illegal to terminate someone for complaining about illegal activity the employer is engaged in or for reasons that violate public policy.

I am not sure what complaints you were making, but they cannot retaliate against you for complaining about wage & hour violations or other labor law violations. Additionally, you work in a hospital, so if your complaints are about something that puts a patient's life in danger, they are protected.

I hope you do not "shut up" as was advised in an earlier post, especially if these are the types of complaints you are making!
This is strike two. If you are indeed an attorney, you are the worst one on this forum. If you are NOT an attorney, then you may find your relationship here very limited. Take the hint.

So far, there has been nothing in any of your responses close to a legally valid answer.

strongwoman

response to Mr. Darcy...

Mr. Darcy, I was not constantly complaining, I personally have only taken issues to my manager twice in the last two years. So I fail to see your point, or are you somebody who thinks that strong woman who express an opinion and stand by them are better off keeping their mouth shut? For anyone interested, co-workers approaching me to help are minorities,hispanics and filipinos, and one white co-worker. Our manager intimidates them by telling them how educated he is, that he is very knowledgable,he has more experience,that they are limited because of their english,and their level of education. Not once when these people approach him does he give them an environment of support, or even honest open communication. He talks down to them. They come to me, to help them to word their words. Because they feel inferior to him because of their mediocre English and their poor spelling,and their tongue-tiedness when they attempt to speak face to face to him. I was trying to help them within the boundries and guidelines of our work policies to resolve these issues. But our supposed system failed them, and I am learning failed me too. Since my first post back in Aug. Our unit has had a veteran nurse supervisor,22 years at the hospital,13 of those years as a supervisor resign under the current manager. Currently there 6 requests for transfers out of the unit,not including myself. This is not about complainers, there is are alot of issues going on in the unit, but this is not about complainers.

("It appears that management is simply not running the unit up to her standards. It doesn't appear that she has any vocal, visible support from her co-workers or management; given that, it might be more practical for her to move on.")

mitousmom this is not about running the unit to my personal standards, and honestly you are right I do not have very many vocal and visible support from co-workers, they are scared. Look what happened to me? Exactly the same thing that was happening to many, many of them before me. No body feels like standing up to him if this is what happens time and time again. So what happens? People giving patient care who hate their job, don't want to be there, and are frustrated. I have seen the result of people who do not care.

("And what is it that you want done? HR / Management has given you it's decision. It isn't going to interfere and feels things are fine. Bad management is bad management, but not illegal.) Sorry to be blunt, but sometimes, that is what's needed.

AL HR, I really did not want anything earth shattering done, there was no ulterior motive on my part. Maybe just to ensure that violations were corrected?? For those of who did our jobs not to be lumped with those who did not do their jobs, and maybe not also carry the blame when something went wrong? mmm, I think that was not a bad thing. Thank you however for your bluntness, I agree that is what is needed at times, however it is what got me into this mess in the first place. No I am not a union steward, just a person with a heart, that heard what my co-workers were saying and was trying to direct them to the right way within our guidelines. To also show them by taking upon myself to write a complaint that if we follow the rules and guidelines that the issues could be resolved. But they were right, it was no use managment is bad managment, I was wrong in telling them things could be resolved.

("Additionally, you work in a hospital, so if your complaints are about something that puts a patient's life in danger, they are protected.")

Peterslawgroup. do you know how many times I hear the words, "potentially put a pt's life in danger?" But still nothing is done about it. I am afraid that it will take something catastrophic to happen before anything is done about it.

Last edited:

confused in nh

do what your heart tells you ,thats one that wont lie

What is the name of your state? California.

its this simple management dont like those who speak up even when its needed! i found out the hard way!:) reading what you wrote brought a smile to my face its nice to see i am not the only woman who is willing to give all i have to stand up for what i think is right!
and it is sad when fellow employes are afraid to speek up to management and when they observe what is happening to you it only verifies why they feel that way . this was my feeling when i was told by others to kiss managments but " i am who i am , i am a hard worker and should not have to kiss but, if i get fired for doing something that needs to be done that others are just to afraid to do that i am fine with that"and i will always belive that !
i hope and pray all works out for you better than it did for me

Last edited:

eerelations

Hey confused...

I spent a long time responding to your post, and giving you advice on how to handle your next jod, and you replied by deleting the entire thread! How adult of you! Do you really think we'll take you seriously again? How does this mean that you're qualified to give legal advice to other posters? Live your life, pay attention to the advice people give you, do some research, and then maybe you'll be qualified to give some legal advice, but certainly not now...strongwoman, don't pay attention to whatever this person says, at least not just yet - he/she has a lot of work to do before he/she is in any position to give any legal advice to anyone.

confused in nh

why so rude?

I spent a long time responding to your post, and giving you advice on how to handle your next jod, and you replied by deleting the entire thread! How adult of you! Do you really think we'll take you seriously again? How does this mean that you're qualified to give legal advice to other posters? Live your life, pay attention to the advice people give you, do some research, and then maybe you'll be qualified to give some legal advice, but certainly not now...strongwoman, don't pay attention to whatever this person says, at least not just yet - he/she has a lot of work to do before he/she is in any position to give any legal advice to anyone.
i deleted it because i felt that you answered my question for the most part and i did reply to you before deleting it !! this is my first time on here, i am sorry if you felt that was rude i didnt know i was supposed to leave it on here for ever ! and i gave no legal advice was just stating that i had the same problem and know how she feels!!!!:p

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

The plain fact is, since you gave no specific incidents or background of a factual nature on which to base a LEGAL answer, your ONLY relevant answer is, if you don't like it get another job.

eerelations

To Confused

Well, replying to a response and then deleting the entire thread is, well, non-productive to say the least! How could I - or anyone else here - have seen your response if you deleted everything? If you were that angry at my advice you should have either provided your reasons for disagreeing with my advice, or not responded at all. That would have been the mature and edified way to respond. I am still very disapponted in you, after all the advice I have given you (advice 'way over and above that required by this forum, I might add) you're still behaving like a juvenile. And no, I'm not being rude - I'm just observing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">