• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA for incarcerated family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Love2box

State: Oklahoma

I have an uncle who was just sentenced to 5 years. My sister and I are the only family members and I'm the only person who keeps contact. By letters, he has stated that I can rent out his house and do whatever I wish with the contents, but he has not signed a POA. When I took the form up to the county jail and refused to sign it (let me mention he does have some mental issues but not enough to be deemed incompetent).

I've told him I can't rent the house out and I refuse to put money into cleaning the house and property if I can't recoup it through rental. My intent was to rent the house, use money for repairs and maintenance and put the rest in an account so he would have money to live on when he is released.

Is there anyway to get the courts to issue me POA without him signing the documents? I honestly, don't know why he won't sign it other than he says he's afraid creditors will take the house after I put money into it (the house is mortgage free).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">