• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter Received Ticket on Bike.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LSUFan

What is the name of your state? Louisiana, Ascension Parish.
My 17 year old daughter was riding her bicycle on the shoulder of the road, when a motorcycle passed her and clipped her causing her to crash and sending her to the hospital. The officer gave her the ticket for not being far enough to the right. I have never heard of this before. I read in the drivers manual that when a vehicle comes upon a cyclist that they must slow down and allow at least 3 feet when passing a cyclist. Are they correct in giving her the ticket? Thank You.

cepe10

I think you are correct on that one. There are places where the shoulder becomes virtually non-existent or too steep so the cyclist has to go slightly into the travelway. A motorcycle has ample room to move around so I'm surprised that OP was not the one at fault... was in on a curve with limited sight distance?

In any event the LEO was not a witness to the event so that is going to work for you in court.

Find in the vehicle code that passage you have already reffered to and bring it to court with you.

LSUFan

Thanks. I went and looked at the accident scene and the road is a straight section of road with no shoulders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">