• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile Work Environment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lennonsangel

What is the name of your state? FL

Yesterday I was at work, I'm a receptionist, and I greeted a very important client who told me he had parked in a reserved spot because there were no others available. I asked him if he knew which one he parked in and he couldn't recall and I am not allowed to leave the front because the phone rings constantly and I didn't want to ask him to go double check and move his car. The only reason I have to make sure is that the owner and his daughter and son who both work there have huge, clearly marked parking spaces and I had heard they would have a fit if someone parked there but had never witnessed it. So seeing as he didn't notice the name on the ground I assumed he didn't park in one of theirs.

Well a few minutes later the daughter, who is our legal counsel, called and asked if someone had parked in her spot and I explained that I had asked him and who he was and he said he didn't remember. So I put her through to the executive assistant to see if that was his car.

Five minutes later the assistant walked up front to tell me it was her spot and then the daughter bursts in and starts screaming at me for letting him park in her spot and not askin him whose it was, which I did, and he did not know, but that is beside the point. She stood there and screamed at me for a few minutes over and over again and then took off down the hall screaming.

My question is, are there grounds for me to sue for harassment? And does this qualify as a hostile work environment because I fear for my job now and I dont' think I can handle being there any longer with someone that volatile, a lawyer no less, hanging around.What is the name of your state?

You Are Guilty

Hell yes. Sue them for a few million, I'm sure that will get their attention. Although, when you go down to the courthouse to file, you might want to pick up a newspaper and start checking the classifieds for a new job, (you'll need it after you've been fired and ordered by the judge to pay your bosses' legal fees from defending your frivilous suit).

Good luck.

mitousmom

No, you don't have grounds for illegal harassment. Under federal law, illegal harassment must be based on sex, race, religion, national origin, color, age or disability and the conduct must either be egregious or pervasive. Your situation doesn't meet any of the requirements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">