• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NH: driving after suspension--did not receive notice but they sent it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Megenoita

What is the name of your state? NH

I've been reading this forum as well as reading up on this, so I believe I know what the situation is, but I wanted to know what you think I should do about it.

My driving record from 1998 to 2000 was bad, including a driving after suspension. It was restored. From 2000 to 2003, my record was flawless except a non-inspection fee of $43, and then in May of 2003 a hit-and-run driver hit my car.

In the police officer's report, he recommended that there be a hearing about my driving record. I defaulted on the hearing, as I had moved but not left a forwarding address with the DMV (they said this...nor with the post office, they say). As a result of this hearing, they suspended my license. Again, I did not receive notice b/c I had moved. Both times, the DMV has on record the letters they sent, and that they were sent back to them.

From 2003-2006, I have nothing against my record. Then this year, a couple weeks ago, I was visiting NH and I was pulled over for driving after suspension. I was cuffed and brought to jail, and now I have a court date.

I know ignorance isn't bliss, but is it a mitigating factor, especially since they have proof that I didn't receive the letters?

Also, I was said to be required to carry S.R. 22 insurance until 9/23/06. It will be past that time by the time I go to court. Do you think they'll lift this burden, given that it's run out?

Lastly, I've had trouble finding the exact laws pertaining to all this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">