• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VP (co-owner) Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SillieKimi

Omaha, Nebraksa

The vice president of my former employer asked me if I'd fool around with him, after telling him no he then asked if I would allow him to take some provacative photos of me.

They are a small company, there are 4 partners. The president, executive VP, VP of Marketing and VP of Construction. The VP of Marketing said those things to me. They are all invested in this company.

I sat down w/the President, he said that he'd talk to him. After nothing was being done, my husband asked to meet w/the President to see if I could have a new boss after this situation since it's an unhealthy work environment. The President said that "BOB" was too big of an asset to the company and in so many words I'm disposable and they would hate to see me leave.

I went to my office the next day got all of my personal belongings and left. The executive VP and the VP of construction did not know about this, the President told me he had no intentions to say anything to them. I sent them an email letting the two other partners know about this.

Do I have a case? I'm in the process of filing a complaint w/the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Office. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mitousmom

If your employer doesn't have 15 employees, it is not covered by the federal law that prohibits sexual harassment discrimination. The Nebraska EO office will tell let you know whether your employer is covered by its law.

SillieKimi

Thanks for your response. We have about 24 employees at the home office in Omaha, and other employees throughout the midwest. I'm still unsure if I have a case or not and what could I get out of them anyways?? :confused:

eerelations

Legally, all your former employer was required to do was to stop the ofending behaviour. Since it appears from your post that the offending behaviour stopped when you formally complained about it, your former employer has apparently met these legal requirements.

Beth3

Ditto. Once you informed the company President, all that was legally required was for the VP's behavior to stop. It did. You do not get to dictate what action the company takes to "punish" the offender.

SillieKimi

Are you serious? I quit because I felt uncomfortable there and all that happened to this sicko was that he was told not to do it anymore. It's ridiculous that this company can get away with this. I really don't have a case? He asked me two times to do something inappropriate! I told him no, and then he asked again. Our legal system blows.

Beth3

You're free to speak to an attorney of course but you CHOOSE to quit. As has been stated, all that the company was required to do when you reported the harassment was to take reasonable steps to make it stop.

I'm not at all unsympathetic to your situation; we're just explaining what the law dictates.

ecmst12

You had one incident of harassing behavior. You reported it and management spoke with the offender. They are not required to reassign you for this, or to fire him. You did not mention any new incidents after the manager was counseled according to your company's policy; therefore they did all that was required of them. If the behavior had continued, you might have had a case. But as mentioned, you chose to quit even though no more harassing behavior took place. Therefore you don't really have a case. But as mentioned, feel free to consult with an attorney anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">