• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jengurl210

What is the name of your state? New York

Both my older and younger sisters are waitresses at a small restaurant. The business is going to be changing hands soon. The future new owners have had meetings with the current employees about various things, one of them being the new dress code they intend to impose. One of the guidelines was something to do with no pantylines showing through their pants. The female part of the brother/sister team that is taking over the restaurant then proceeded to inform the employees that to avoid having a pantyline she doesn't wear undergarments to work. I do know that by saying what she said she made quite a few of the employees very uncomfortable and they're not sure they want to work for this type of person. My question is do they have the right to tell the employees that they can't have a pantyline showing?? I guess since they will be the owners and the dresscode is up to them they might, but I'd rather ask someone who knows better than I, and be sure. It seems absurd to me, but if it is within their rights then so be it. Thanks in advance.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? New York

Both my older and younger sisters are waitresses at a small restaurant. The business is going to be changing hands soon. The future new owners have had meetings with the current employees about various things, one of them being the new dress code they intend to impose. One of the guidelines was something to do with no pantylines showing through their pants. The female part of the brother/sister team that is taking over the restaurant then proceeded to inform the employees that to avoid having a pantyline she doesn't wear undergarments to work. I do know that by saying what she said she made quite a few of the employees very uncomfortable and they're not sure they want to work for this type of person. My question is do they have the right to tell the employees that they can't have a pantyline showing?? I guess since they will be the owners and the dresscode is up to them they might, but I'd rather ask someone who knows better than I, and be sure. It seems absurd to me, but if it is within their rights then so be it. Thanks in advance.
they have every right to instill a dress code. Besides, panty lines are tacky. Just so you know, I also told a woman to wear a bra to work and when she refused, I fired her on the spot.

She tried to sue and tried to file for unemployment...she lost both cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">