• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon Law ( Kinda Long )

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarFan02

What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY

Hi recently my 2005 Saab 9-2x Auto had cut off on me while on the highway. The check engine light had come on prior and I pulled to the side to cut the car off and give it 20 - 30 min of rest time still not knowing what the problem was. As I proceeded through the next toll booth the car cut off I tried to start and made a serious grinding noise and proceeded to shake then turn off again. This all occured on Wed September 20, 2006 dealer has had car since that date . This car is a lease car with about 16,100 miles on it and I'm 1 year and 1 month into my lease. The dealer has not been very clear at all on how long I may be without a car. In the mean time they gave me a Brand new 2007 9-3 to drive around in. My thinking is that is to keep me quiet so I won't file lemon law claim. The only honest answer that I recieved about my car was when the tow truck driver towed it and said that it was the engine which doesn't hold to much weight. So my question is how do I get the dealer to offically tell me whats wrong with my car ? And should I start lemon law filings on the 20th day even if the dealer never tells me anything about my car ?

racer72

As long as the dealer is making an attempt to repair the car, lemon laws do not apply. Lemon laws apply to vehicles that have repeated safety or driveability problems, one problem would hardly qualify. You have a loaner car and are losing nothing in the mean time, all you can do is let the dealer fix the car.

xylene

So my question is how do I get the dealer to offically tell me whats wrong with my car ?
Its the car you are leasing

What's wrong with it is that it is actually a Subaru.

And should I start lemon law filings on the 20th day even if the dealer never tells me anything about my car ?
What is there to tell?

Cross two cars known for electrical / engine computer problems, and the result is obvious.

CarFan02

Well true but if they are gonna have my car for 20 days the New Jersey law states
Any consumer who buys, leases or registers a new passenger vehicle or motorcycle in the State of New Jersey is covered by the Lemon Law.* The consumer is protected for two years after the original delivery date of the vehicle, OR for the first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. If the vehicle is transferred to someone else during this two-year/18,000-mile period, that owner or the person leasing the vehicle is also covered under the Lemon Law.
new motor vehicle is presumed to be a lemon if it has one or more defects that continue to exist after three attempts at repairs, OR after the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 20 cumulative calendar days.
So if I go by the 20 cumulative days doesn't it qualify as a lemon ?

xylene

Well true but if they are gonna have my car for 20 days the New Jersey law states
Any consumer who buys, leases or registers a new passenger vehicle or motorcycle in the State of New Jersey is covered by the Lemon Law.* The consumer is protected for two years after the original delivery date of the vehicle, OR for the first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. If the vehicle is transferred to someone else during this two-year/18,000-mile period, that owner or the person leasing the vehicle is also covered under the Lemon Law.
new motor vehicle is presumed to be a lemon if it has one or more defects that continue to exist after three attempts at repairs, OR after the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 20 cumulative calendar days.
So if I go by the 20 cumulative days doesn't it qualify as a lemon ?
Could be.

You really need to push the dealer to make this right.

I am speaking from the exp of a Saab owner (pre-GM)

They are great cars, but you will have your car in shop often.

Good luck.

Please post where you found the text you cite. It will facilitate further research.

CarFan02

Ok dealer just called me and informed me I will be without a car for quite a while maybe 3 weeks minimum. So now knowing this I don't know if I should take my car back when it's repaired or go through with the lemon law claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">