• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjustly Arrested and Assulted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlinderman

I was arrested and assaulted for "drunk in public" and "obstructing a police officer" in LA county California. I have four unrelated witnesses that provided me with their names and numbers and are willing to testify that the officer for no apparent reason assaulted me. HE claims that I approached him in an 'aggressive manner" all witnesses agree that I did nothing of the sort. The officer threw me to the ground by my neck and when I got up to ask him what he was doing he proceeded to do it again, this time cuffing me and dragging me to the gutter. After his Sgt. cam and made him help me to sit up on the curb, the officer asked me to admit my guilt and said he would let me go if I answered correctly. I told hie that I was not guilty and that I would not admit my guilt. He decided to take me to jail. I spent the night in jail and now would like to know what action I can take to 1) get the charges dropped and 2) file a complaint against the officer.
Thanks
Matt

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

This is a situation that if not handled properly, can absolutely affect your future.

You need to do the following: immediately find a criminal defense attorney to make a motion to dismiss the charges based on lack of probable cause, malicious prosecution, abuse of power, etc. Your witnesses will probably need to be deposed.

Then you will turn to suing the city, county police department and individual officers for: malicious prosecution, assault, battery and false imprisonment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">