• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong address on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilmoxy2000

My nephew recently received a disorderly conduct ticket where the street address is correct, but the town is incorrect. Can this ticket be dimissed due to the error?

Thank you.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

It seems that this is a minor error and if the police officer witnessed this conduct, very little chance of it being dismissed.

You may try for leniency, especially if there is no prior record.

JETX

With all due respect to Lawrat, I feel that there could be more to this than on the surface....

For example, you said that the wrong town was noted on the ticket. Did the officer who issued the ticket have the jurisdicational right to issue it?? For example, if the ticket was issued by a Town A officer, in the city limits of Town B, then that ticket can be voided since the officer probably did not have the jurisdictional authority to issue the ticket. (However, if it was a county or state officer who issued the ticket, obviously their jurisdictional limit does not end at the city or town limit.)

Further, I also believe that if the street address was correct AND there is no such address in the city shown on the ticket, that could also be grounds for a voidable ticket.

My suggestion, go ahead and take it to court. Argue either or both issues. You probably have little or nothing to lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">