• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liztini

What is the name of your state? Washington State

Is this legal? HELP!

I was on my honeymoon and my paycheck bounced. I sent an email to my boss requesting a new check to be deposited right away and to make sure my next check will go through, since (of course) I'm depending on my paychecks. The owner on my first day back, has demoted me to a lesser paying position and a different title. Due to the fact they "Feel" as if I don't trust them anymore because I sent an email making sure they would deposit the check and "feel" the email was rude. This is so strange. I'm getting a demotion due to the fact I sent a "rude" email about getting a bounced paycheck.

mb94

Unless you have some type of employment contract saying otherwise they can demote you for wearing boxers instead of briefs. It isn't fair but it isn't illegal either. Really, when it comes to employment issues the courts stay out of it unless you're being treated differently based on race, sex, religion, etc. or if they are violating health and safety rules. They don't legally have to be nice or even to be smart.

One bounced paycheck should be enough to make you want to get out of there ASAP. It's very possible they are giving you the demotion so that they don't have to pay you as much and can blame it on your actions instead of admitting they are broke.

Betty

I, too, would be concerned about the "financial strength" of the co. since your pay check bounced. However, the demotion was not illegal - they can demote you for anything that is not against the law. Demoting you for a "rude" e-mail is not illegal/against the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">