• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work wants to post pics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phonegirl

What is the name of your state? California

I work for a major phone company who has recently reorganized groups. There are groups from different states who work together. In an attempt to get these employees to know each other better they have decided to make a web site where they plan to post our names, pictures, job title & description, contact number, and home town. I believe this should be the individuals choice and not mandatory. In todays world I am not comfortable putting my picture on a website. Nor do I want any information about me on it. We have a company directory already that gives name, job, who I work for, & contact number. I feel that this is sufficient and would like verification that they may not post information or photos without my permission. Thank you, phonegirl

Beth3

I feel that this is sufficient and would like verification that they may not post information or photos without my permission. Sorry but no can do. They may post your picture if they wish to.

FYI - I can't imagine that web page/photo gallery will be accessible by anyone other than employees - it will be part of the company's intranet, not the internet.

phonegirl

True, but this company is huge and they fire people every year for the very things that I am concerned about. It is just too easy to access this info. We are able to access the intranet at home as well. Thank you though for responding, I do appreciate it.

Beth3

All you can do is tell your employer you are uncomfortable with this and see what they say.

You probably aren't the only employee who would prefer not to have his or her picture on their intranet so perhaps management has already discussed this and reached a decision on how they're going to handle it (such as allowing employees to "opt out" if they prefer.)

We are able to access the intranet at home as well. I'm sure you can access it from anywhere but the issue is that only employees and not the general public have log-in privileges. If I go to google and search for "photos of phonegirl," I'm not going to get a hit for your company's intranet nor can I log in and gain access.

Silverplum

I know of several companies, off the top of my head, which put employee photos on their public websites. I wouldn't dismiss this problem as "solved by the intranet."

moburkes

I know of several companies, off the top of my head, which put employee photos on their public websites. I wouldn't dismiss this problem as "solved by the intranet."
I don't think the picture itself is the problem. I took the problem to be this:
names, pictures, job title & description, contact number, and home town

phonegirl

you are all completely right. There is also an issue with my company for hackers. Since they have successfully prosecuted hackers they have become a prime target. A couple of years ago the hackers convention in Las Vegas gave away a car door with my company logo on it as there grand prize. Though I realize the probobility is remote I know that the possibility is there. Speaking of work, off I go now. And I have written an email with my concerns. Thanks again everybody.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just wanted to point out that anyone with a phone book or an internet connection can get your home phone number and your home address in about a minute and a half.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">