• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Bad Joke!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Racoo91

What is the name of your state? PA

I am a sales rep for a small computer company. I have been with them for 12 + years. Here is my story:

About two months ago I was at a customer site working on a CPU issue. I needed help with the problem and called a tech from the office on my cell. He was at a customer site as well. About 30 secs into the call I got another call coming in. It was a girl from my office who handles the phones and such. I put the tech on hold and switched. She said " Steve you have to go get your son he is very sick" I said OK I’ll put down what I’m doing or call my Wife. I was just about to hang-up when I heard voices yelling in the background. She came back on and said “Its a Joke, I’m sorry” I said WHAT. and she said “I’m sorry” and hung up.

I switched back to the tech and told him what just happened and he said “That’s sick”. I finished up with him and solved the CPU issue. The girls and one man in the office heard me tell the story to the tech and came to me with shock on their face and concern about what just happened. I then left and called my wife and she was flat out floored.....
I then called the owner in his office and told the story to his assistant because he was out. She was floored and said it was a sick thing to do and would have the owner call me. I had to make one more stop at a client before I made it back to the office. An hour and a half later I showed up and the girl had left for the day but the rest of the staff was there. I asked the office manager what happened and she said she knew nothing about it.
I went into the service dept. and found 3 staff hanging around and I said. “Can anyone tell me what happened earlier today” A sales rep said “ It was a F--king joke, that girl has a brain of a 4 year old” I said “What kind of a joke is that telling me my son is sick” Rep said “Its bull s--t talk to her”. Then a customer came in and I went back to my desk. The owner never called me.

Two days later the owner came in and I asked him about it. He said “it was a joke and someone will apologize to you” I said “I called you two days ago about this” he said “it was a joke” and walked away.

Two weeks went by and nothing about it. I ran into the owner again and said what's up and he said “no one talked to you about it.... I’ll make sure its done”. 3 weeks went by and my wife has remind me every other day. I caught him on the phone one day and said my wife is asking me about this and we need to here something. he said “I have it on my list to do”. we are now up to the present and still ZIP. 3 monts later

I don’t know what to do at this point? Friends and family have said to get a lawyer involved with a law suit. others have said to let it go.

Any advise would be great.

S.What is the name of your state?

demartian

I agree

I agree, the joke was horrible. The person who did it is probably afraid to even talk to you about it. Unless it happens again, I would say to totally drop it out of your mind.

Employers are not required to fire someone or make them say they are sorry.

pattytx

There is absolutely nothing for an attorney here. Write this person off as an insensitive jerk and move forward. Nothing illegal occurred.

Beth3

I can't even imagine why this nit-wit thought that was a joke or even remotely funny. That said, she did nothing illegal. Exercising horrible judgment is not against the law. Nor is your employer obligated to do something about it (even if they should give her holy hell for her "prank.")

I suggest you and your wife just let this go. At this point, you're only going to aggravate the owner if you keep bringing it up. You complained about the incident and rightly so; that's all you can do.

I

ISUE4YOU2

I agree with the above. The owner and personnel are jerks, but what (money) do you think you are legally entitled to for them being jerks?

Racoo91

OK.....I understand.

We can't just sit back and allow this to just pass. What about pa, human rights comm. ?

Betty

I agree with the others that it was an awful "joke" to play on someone but I don't think you have any type of recourse. Maybe you could have talked to the girl yourself & asked why she made this call & that you did not think it was funny & did not appreciate it.

HappyHusband

So, it's the apology that you want?

Go up to the secretary and ask her, "Where is my apology", and then do as everyone else has suggested and forget about it.

Beth3

We can't just sit back and allow this to just pass. What about pa, human rights comm. ?
Racoo, the human rights commission can't and won't do a darn thing about it because nothing illegal occurred. Government agencies are not in the business of enforcing good manners.

You and your wife need to get past this. In the scheme of things, it's a nothing. As I was driving to work this morning, I heard an Amber Alert on the radio about an abuducted child. Now compare that to this nit-wit making a stupid phone call saying your son was ill which within minutes you discovered was not the case at all. It was a cruel and idiotic thing for her to do but you and your wife need to get some perspective and just let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">