• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

flashing red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mara

What is the name of your state?
MI
I was cited for running a flashing red light at night after bringing a loved one to the emergency room. I thought I was coming to a complete stop, but the comment was that i drove through it at 20 mph. I was so distressed about my situation with the family emergency, and the officer obviously saw that I was falling apart over a loved one possibly dying, yet issued the ticket anyway. Can I at least mention these extenuating circumstances to get my fine reduced and how many points would that be on my license?
It was my first traffic citation.

Last edited:

racer72

MI
I thought I was at least only "rolling through the flasing red light,
A flashing red light means you must come to a complete stop.

I was so distressed about my situation with the family emergency, and the officer obviously saw that I was falling apart over a loved one possibly dying, yet issued the ticket anyway. [/QUOTE]

Then you should not have been driving at all. The excuses you have presented here are on the lame side, either come up with something better or pay the ticket.

justalayman

I agree with racer that if you were this distraught you should not have been driving but I disagree with using this as , at least a poor, reason for the situation. You have no other excuse.

If your driving record is clean, the judge may have mercy given the circumstances but you better have proof the relative was actually possibly dieing to back you up.

Judges can use their discretion and I can guarantee you will at least receive a verbal chastisement for your actions but hopefully the judge will not be totally non sympathetic to your situation.

mara

Flashing red light

Thanks for your response. Problem is, I had to drive home, even though I was sad and crying, because I had to bring my kids to school and myself to work 4 hours after this occurred. I was not speeding or drinking. We have no relatives or friends in this area who could have taken over. I just want to have at least some leniency shown, considering these circumstances. But you are right, I probably will have to pay the fine, however the back of the ticket does let you explain "extenuating circumstances", so I am hoping at least for some reduction in either points or fine.

LSCAP

Extenuating circumstances is admitting guilt, and making it a little harder for the Judge to dismiss.

First talk to the DA if possible explaining the circumstances, like you did here. IE" no one else to drive etc: The DA has a lot to say about the case.

If you can't talk to the DA. Plead not guilty, then tell the Judge of the circumstances.

justalayman

In a meager defense of the OP, I myself would hesitate to call an ambulance. The time for the ambulance to arrive would be greater than the time it takes me to get to the hospital in "ambualance mode driving" so it would be quicker to deliver in person.

Not knowing the medical problem the OP was dealing with, it is hard to make a true dtermination as to which would be the best but in many cases, those few minutes can be crucial to survival.

xylene

MI
I was cited for running a flashing red light at night after bringing a loved one to the emergency room. I thought I was coming to a complete stop, but the comment was that i drove through it at 20 mph. I was so distressed about my situation with the family emergency, and the officer obviously saw that I was falling apart over a loved one possibly dying, yet issued the ticket anyway. Can I at least mention these extenuating circumstances to get my fine reduced and how many points would that be on my license?
It was my first traffic citation.
Consider that the mercy you have recieveds is that:

1) You didn't get a ticket for wreckless/dangerous driving.

2) You didn't have an accident.

3) No one was injured or killed.

I hope your loved one is better.

Be well and mind the lesson you have learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">