• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

84 / 55 in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucas26

What is the name of your state? NC

The circumstances:
I am a relatively new driver and 26 years old. I commute about 65 miles one way currently.
I was coming back home from on NC-64 at about 7 in the evening.
I have a completely clean record (no tickets, no accidents, no other criminal charges).
Unfortunately I do not have a very long driving history, since before I lived within walking distance to everything in California and got my license when I came to NC.

I was driving out of a 65 mph zone by Pittsboro, at which point I remember dropping my speed down to 60 in the 55mph zone ( I do speed, not denying it, but I try to stay within 5-8 mph of posted limit). Now I had worked a really long day so I was pretty tired and I was focusing on driving and I was not paying very close attention to my speedometer. Bad, I know (or maybe I'm just beginning to really find out). I was planning on pulling off for a break in Siler City... Just as I was slowing down for the 45 mph zone entering Siler City, it started getting dark and I had a car right behind me so I reached up to flip my rearview for night time and then he hit his lights. I was still in a 55mph zone doing about 50. Signaled over and pulled off.

I was polite and courteous and at no time admitted to speeding or going that speed. In all honesty I didn't observe my speed at any time to be over 60 but I was only checking about 1/2 as often as I normally would have. There are some hills and it is possible with my car to have had it get going without my catching and off again on the next incline. I didn't pass any cars but there were not many so I can't really gauge that, either. My car has pretty cheap tires so anything at about 65-70 is really noticeable and I don't recall that happening but since I was so tired I'm not going to say otherwise and presume I screwed up.

The state trooper gave me my ticket and a lecture on how it was close to reckless driving and really too fast to be going on that road with the deer, and that it was a mandatory court appearance and that actually is in my best interest. He also said that I should go and ask for leniency. He didn't specify how he had clocked me but I presume it was radar (the speed on the ticket has an R in front of it).

I am willing to accept the fines without any reservation, I should have been doing a better job of paying attention to my speed. The insurance points seem a bit harsh but even that I can understand. What would really be a serious issue for me is a 30 day revocation given that there is no public transportation for me to get to and from work. Also I'd like to avoid a misdemeanor conviction if possible as my work requires me to maintain a security clearance and while that is not likely to be a problem it could be.

At this point I am planning on retaining an attorney in Chatham County to represent me, but I wanted to get general advice on how to pick the attorney as well as what my chances are of avoiding a revocation?

Is a prayer for judgement (PJC) something that might be possible in this case?
Or is it likely they will allow me to plead down to a lesser speed?

Thanks in advance,
Lucas

Using an attorney as you plan is your best bet to minimize the damage. He should be able to plea a deal to avoid insurance points.

Select one that specializes in traffic cases with an office close to the court house. Spend a couple hours in traffic court to see who is getting results. or call at least three and talk to them on the phone.

You will be getting lots of letters asking for your business in the mail.

Plan on paying about $140 in fines and court costs and $350 - $1,000 for the attorney.

LSCAP

In NC 10 mph overgets you an increase in insurance.

A good lawyer might be able to get you guilty of 9 miles over.

A super lawyer (?) might get you a Prayer for judgment.

I agree, get a lawyer, preferably one who is local and knows the court. Call or stop in their offices.

lucas26

Ok thanks. I will retain a good local attorney in Chatham.

I do notice the officer screwed up the time on the ticket (AM instead of PM) but from the way I understand it that is usually not something the court really cares about.

Hopefully I will find a good attorney and get it knocked down to something I can handle the penalty.

I've purchased both a vehicle speed alarm which I'm going to set to go off at 68 MPH and a good radar detector so I can increase my awareness of my speed at all times and also police presence.

Thank you both for your advice.
//Lucas//

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">