• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimbob2504

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I live in Illinois and have had to put my 90-year-old mother into a nursing home. I have her medical and financial power of attorney and signed her into the nursing home using the POA. I was told at the time she entered the home that she had insurance that would cover her stay 100% for two years. It has been 5 months now and I received a bill from the nursing home stating that the charges to the insurance company have been denied and I should pay the outstanding bill immediately. My question is, since I signed her into the home as her POA am I responsible for the charges incurred or was I just signing her name as her POA and is her estate responsible for the debt.What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

Is your mother now deceased or alive?

What reason did the insurance company give for denial?

Can her estate afford to pay the debt?

You should seriously consider filing a complaint against this insurance company with your state insurance commissioner (do a GOOGLE search and find a website with his address and e-mail and phone number for contact) to have them investigate why the insurance company refused payment.

Betty

Who told you when your Mother entered the nursing home that she had 100% ins. coverage for a 2 yr. stay? As Dandy Don asked, is your Mother still living or has she passed away?

SaintLee

I am in almost the EXACT same predicament

[B]I nearly fell out of my chair after seeing your post![/B]:eek:
I am in almost the EXACT same predicament. Almost.

I am being 'threatened' with a lawsuit to pay the balance of a 'share of cost' that accrued for over five months without being notified whatsoever, despite the fact that my name isnt even on the BILL! My sister put mom in there and signed for everything, but because I happened to be joint bank account holder with my mom* (who, sadly,
I must add, just passed away last Saturday), ,and was accessing the account* (mom's specific permission to do so of course), my sister flips out, does something (I am still working on what exactly she did and how) to insure the bank account doesn't get the 'income check' anymore and turns me over to Lord knows who.... and I get a text msg
from 'sis' stating- " tell it to the judge.."
I am and have been the only, ONLY one to defend my mother throughout all this and now it seems that 'sis' gets to walk away and put it (the bill) on me.

When you get help or any ideas thrown at you, would you PLEASE, I beg, PLEASE throw a tidbit of help my way as well??

I will help you as soon as I can, if I can too, alright?

*She never drove a car and it seemed a good idea at the time to make it easier for me to run her errands

Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">