• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable delay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llahhall

What is the name of your state? PA

Backround:
I was pulled over for a speeding violation in late january of 2006, it's currently 8 months since the event. I replied to the ticket "Not Guilty", paid the 186 dollar fine within the 10 day grace period. I recieved a piece of mail at my mothers residence, (no longer my residence), the contents regaurded the traffic violation from january, this was received last tuesday, Sept. 19th. They assigned me a date for a meeting with the district magistrate. I'm not able to make that date, so I procedded to call the office to reschedule the date. I discovered that they had "Misplaced" my ticket (in january) and are now "taking care of the issue". The person i spoke with was more than displeased to find that I wasn't able to make the intended date.( It's not simple for me to miss things, I have 19 credits, most professors don't allow makeup exams, and those that do make them excedingly hard.

My Thoughts and Questions:
1. Does any of this work to my advantage? ( Do i have the right to a speedy trial, or do i have to exercise that?)
2. I was told that the points I will accumulate will NOT be retroactive. Is that true?
3. I wouldn't have a problem making the date originally scheduled, except I have a test on the day it is scheduled. The person I spoke with said I can only reschedule once, what if they reschedule me on the day of another test? Am i expected to fail the test?

For the past 8 months I thought I had missed my court date because they didn't have the correct address to mail the information to me. (My mother moved a few weeks after the ticket was issued) I've moved from my mothers house since and now have a different mailing address across the state from her.

I've also thought that since I was never refunded my money I was found guilty and that my points were on my license. In august I checked my license to be sure, nothing was there. My only conclusion was that I was found guilty, but either the officer didn't show or they had trouble finding my address so they kept the money as a fine and ruled that the fine was sufficent.

4.What if I had moved from a place where they didn't know who I was? What if the mail never made it to me, would I have a warrant out for me?

I'm just affraid that, now I'm going to be convicted of the violation and I'm going to recieve points on my license that I cannot afford. I've since gone on to my own insurance policy.

Thank you for anyhelp

-Mick

racer72

1. You must make a request to the court for a speedy trial, it doesn't automatically apply. Your chance to do that was months ago.

2. Points won't be applied to your driving record till convicted.

3. Guess what has priority to the court? It's not your class schedule. You even state retesting is available.

4. It is up to you to notify the court of your whereabouts, the court does not have to look for you. Don't show up for court on the scheduled day and you could very well have a warrant for your arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">