• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is Discovery Too Brudensome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vkbarefoot

What is the name of your state? CA

I am in Ohio.

I have a proceeding in CA. I have asked for some filed for Production of Documents. No many, about 50 to 75.

Their attorney has refused to forward any documents stateing that it would be too burdensome to do so. He says they are available for inspection at his office and that I can come from Ohio if I want to see them.

I don't want to have to file for the judge to compel production of documents. Is there another way?

Thank you ... viki

JETX

I don't want to have to file for the judge to compel production of documents. Is there another way?
Yep. You can have your attorney file a motion to compel and then argue that your request is not 'burdensome' at the hearing.
Of course, if you don't have an attorney... then you need to get one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? CA

I am in Ohio.

I have a proceeding in CA. I have asked for some filed for Production of Documents. No many, about 50 to 75.

Their attorney has refused to forward any documents stateing that it would be too burdensome to do so. He says they are available for inspection at his office and that I can come from Ohio if I want to see them.

Thank you ... viki
NOT MANY? What kind of case is this? you asking for 50 to 75 different productions is BURDENSOME!
In my last case I asked for five productions which will probably yield anywhere from 20 to 100 different documents. One production does NOT necessarily equal one document. And he is NOT refusing to produce them. He is telling you to go look at the documents in his office. SO GO. Your motion to compel would be laughed at in many courts as the attorney is cooperating. you are the one who is refusing.

rmet4nzkx

When you made your request for production of documents did you include the cost for copies? You can send a legal service to copy the records for you at your cost. You really need to get an attorney to represent you in CA if you don't know what you are doing.

stephenk

What specifically is to be produced? Has the other attorney told you how much it would cost to copy the information for you? Did the other attorney serve you with a timely response that included an objection to producing the requested items in Ohio? Is the case you filed in Unlimited or Limited Jurisdiction?

Review California Code of Civil Procedure Section 2031

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">