• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this harrasement?/What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boo7basil

I live in NH and work in MA. I have been a part time loyal bookkeeper for a local branch of a large corporation for a little over two years. Recently we had about $800.00 go missing which is has happened sporadically here and there. Usually this happens when we are in our busy season and we have 15-20 temp employees for 2-3 weeks. It is not unheard off. On Friday, I received a phone call from our loss prevention officer at the home office asking me to "assist" in the investigation into the missing funds. I accepted without a problem only to end up being accused of theft myself. The conversations started with just the need for a statement from me, then moved to an inderect accusation without ever actually accusing or telling me why the investigation might center on me. I assured them that I had never taken anything from the company or purpusfully caused it any harm. I was then told not to bother denying "it" (the it was never exactly specified as in amount or alleged wrong goind) because the LPO had been doing this for 20 years and he knew I did. He said he also knew about my car accident which I never understood why it came into conversation. What does that have to do with work?

I was quite upset and proceeded to tell him to go to hell for his insinuations (he kept on telling me not to "make it harder of myself") and to hang up on him and walk out. Then, as I was leaving, my personal cell phone rang. It was the LPO asking me if I resigned, telling me that all I had to do is "pay the company back" (again no amount or reason why I was accused) and finishing off by telling me he would now have to involve the police since I was "not cooperating". I told him that I would be happy to cooperate if that is indeed what he was looking for but everytime I said anything he accused me of "fishing" to see what he "had" on me. This was not a conversation, it was more like an interrogation.

I now feel very upset and I am planning on calling my regional manager (who was present but silent during the phone interogation") and informing him that I felt thoroughly harrassed. Am I right here? What are my rights? Did they have a right to call my personal cell phone? What should I do from here? I am not seeking to sue or anything like that. I am a full time college student, 34 years old and I just want to make sure there is nothing negative in my file based on these insinuations. I am not even planning on staying in this field and infact had already advised them I would be terminating my employment there in October (date unspecified)

boo7basil

Thank you for the reply. Could you please elaborate a bit? My understanding is that I should not have been called on my personal cell. Also, I can accept direct questions about direct issues but these vailed threats and comments really make it difficult. If they had actual proof, shouldn't I be privy to that information as well as the subject of the "investigation"?

ecmst12

Whatever gave you that idea? If they had your number, they could call you on it, that's not against the law.

boo7basil

I just thought that it was from what people were telling me. That is why I am posting here. I want clarifications as to what my rights are here and what the right thing to do on my end is. I have decided to return to work tomorrow, proceed with my duties and advice that I will be more than happy to assist and answer any questions they may have regarding our missing funds. I also found out from co workers that our safe was always left open despite the temp employees etc. I never gave it much thought aside from asking that it is closed repeatedly because I never thought I would have to come up w/ excuses for something I had nothing to do with.

eerelations

Harassment in employment is illegal only if they were doing it based solely on your race, religion, gender, age, or similar. Nothing in your post indicates that you were being harassed for any of these reasons. Calling you on your personal cell phone (or any phone for that matter) is not harassment; while this may have been annoying to you, it is not illegal behaviour.

boo7basil

Thank you for your info. As for the 2nd question, wht are my rights here? Any advice on how to proceed other than the fact that I will go back to work and "fight" this. I have heard that the regional confessed to another employee that he pretty much hopes I will "dissapear" as he hates confrontation. I will not do that as I have done nothing wrong.

Beth3

You have the right to quit if you don't care for what has transpired. That's it.

What you describe above is a standard (and unpleasant) loss prevention interview when an employee may be suspected of theft. There may be other employees being subjected to the exact same routine. All you can do is profess your innocence and see what happens. The ball is in your employer's court.

ecmst12

Oh, and they can fire you for taking the money even if you didn't. They can fire you for not cooperating with the investigation, they can fire you if they don't like your attitude or the color of your shirt.

boo7basil

well I'm sure they don't like my attitude as I have actually retained a lawyer. I thank everyone for their helpful advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">