• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd offence <1oz Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Envy2

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Last year I got caught with MIP, <1oz Marijuana, and Paraphanlia. I signed up for a drug course (diversion) for first time offenders. During September, I was with two of my buddies in my car in a parking lot when a squad car came in and detained us. The cop asked if I had anything and I immediately replied "No, you can search me and my car". Obviously, they were inconclusive with finding anything on me or in my car. However, both of my friends who also got questioned were also honest and told the cops what they had. One of my friends had a tiny amount of marijuana and a pipe on him, my other friend had rolling papers. We were cooperative with the police and I got charged with possession of marijuana because my other buddy had it on him while being in my car. My other two friends both got possession and paraphanalia charges.

I was 17 years old at the time of my first run-in with the cops, and I was 17 this time too. However my court date is scheduled for a date that is after I turn 18. Now I'm curious as to a few things..

A. will I be tried as a juvenile since I was 17 at the time of being caught, or will I be tried as an adult for being 18 at the time of court?
B. what should I do in court? plea bargin? (I don't think they will drop my charges)
C. what can I expect to happen at court and what my verdict will (most likely) be?

Thank you in advance for reading all that and evaluating my situation.

gawm

C. what can I expect to happen at court and what my verdict will (most likely) be?
Did you or your friends make any statements to police that you knew what they had on them? If not, if they do the stand up thing and testify in your trial that you did not know what they had in their pocket, I would say your chances are pretty good. The prior is the only thing that really hurts you. That's just my opinion. Have you talked with a lawyer about this?

Envy2

No.. I don't think I'm going to bring a lawyer into this. I'm costing my parents too much money at the moment for them to pay for a decent lawyer. It's just going to be my Mom and I at court.

gawm

No.. I don't think I'm going to bring a lawyer into this. I'm costing my parents too much money at the moment for them to pay for a decent lawyer. It's just going to be my Mom and I at court.
I strongly advise against that. Why don't you have your parents get a lawyer, get a job and pay them back. If you also put the money you normally would use for weed towards it, you would have them paid back in no time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">