• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor dispute- MASSACHUSETTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spikedog

What is the name of your state? MA
Hi,
I hired a licensed contractor to remodel a very small home (800sq ft) We didn't use a contract but I've been told it wouldn't matter much since the issue is more his poor workmanship and i have receipts of payment and lots of pictures, documentation of phonecalls and missed appointments, etc...
Essentially he was almost fully paid and abandoned the job unfinished and without completing the repairs we reviewed (and now after having moved in- there are even more serious problems that have developed- eg warping floors due to his never electrifying the dehumidification system in my basement causing permanent damage to the hardwood,
never attaching drainage plumbing to my washer so I flooded the laundry room assuming it was all set! Doors that won't close/lock properly, holes in ceilings where misplaced light fixtures were installed/moved, kitchen cabinets never hung/lumber lying all around the kitchen, on & on... 1/2 finished paint jobs, warped "new" interior doors, etc...
I've been in touch with the Atty General's Office who can't help without a mutually signed contract~ they told me to seek a private Atty. After chatting with several they said it's likely we'd WIN but unlikely we'd collect since he has no assets in his own name! All in his wife's name (4 houses/new truck) SO- I'm also an out of work RN due to a back injury and have limited funds to hire a lawyer which will likely cost me 10K only to possibly recoup 25K
IF we can even find that he owns anything! What about future earning or having his name on a mortgage meaningful even if the title isn't in his name??? Aren't there any lawyers willing to work on contingency for something like this??? I was told if my home was worth $400K it might be worth pursuing~ otherwise likely not.
This just doesn't seem Fair or legal to me as a consumer and who paid him almost ALL of what he asked for but then I have no recourse when he leaves and his workmanship is shoddy??? Going after his license won't get my place fixed- and I think he's getting out of the remodeling field anyways...but he was licensed when I hired him so that is relevent.
Any advice on where to look for any holdings he would have to collect from or how to go about this in MA by finding a lawyer who isn't going to cost 10K which I don't have since all my $$ went to this Contractor???
I'm so angry and frustrated and definitely plan to at least report him to ALL agencies I can think of so nobody else gets stuck having him work for them. He currently has no black marks or violations that I could find... so I'm not sure WHAT happened here- it's possible he got in over his head in the RE market here and just dropped out- but wouldn't his insurance be helpful on his end???
I need serious HELP from a professional- it's such a powerless feeling and I am surrounded by all the structural errors he's made so I can't escape feeling badly in my own home! I don't want to pay twice for the same work!!! :eek:
thanks,
debbie in BostonWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">