• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in residential area.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Primetime00

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello,
I've recieved a speeding ticket for going 40/25. I'm pretty positive that I was speeding, and most likely going that fast. I was polite to the officer, and after he'd issued the ticket, he told me that since I was 'nice' that he recommends that I go to court and not just pay the fine. He says the worst that can happen is that I pay the whole fine. The fine comes out to $361. Yikes.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience. I could go to court, but I have no defense. I was speeding. The only way I can think of having the fine reduced is the officer not showing up for court. Anyone know the chances of that?

Also, has there every been any chance of pleading guilty and but still having the fine reduced?

Thanks for the adviceWhat is the name of your state?

fairisfair

Of course there is a chance. If the judge is feeling generous, and you present yourself as remorseful and having learned your lesson, present an otherwise great driving record, who knows what could happen.

cepe10

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello,
I've recieved a speeding ticket for going 40/25. I'm pretty positive that I was speeding, and most likely going that fast. I was polite to the officer, and after he'd issued the ticket, he told me that since I was 'nice' that he recommends that I go to court and not just pay the fine. He says the worst that can happen is that I pay the whole fine. The fine comes out to $361. Yikes.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience. I could go to court, but I have no defense. I was speeding. The only way I can think of having the fine reduced is the officer not showing up for court. Anyone know the chances of that?

Also, has there every been any chance of pleading guilty and but still having the fine reduced?

Thanks for the adviceWhat is the name of your state?
In MD you can typically get Probation before judgement (that way you get no points if you keep your record clean for a time period) just for showing up and saying "guilty"... Either that or he doesn't plan on showing up. I think he was giving you a tip...

fairisfair

In MD you can typically get Probation before judgement (that way you get no points if you keep your record clean for a time period) just for showing up and saying "guilty"... Either that or he doesn't plan on showing up. I think he was giving you a tip...
What does MD have to do with this thread?? This poster lives in Virginia.

Primetime00

Well, my court date was today.

Just to follow up:
I was speeding 40/25 in a residential area. My fine was $361 and 4 pts on my license.
After pleading guilty, I was offered traffic school with a dismissal. So I just have fees for court and school, which came out to $125.

I'll take $125 over $361 and an insurance hike any day.

Good Luck
-Ryan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">