• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indicted on Felony Drug Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mssales

What is the name of your state? Indiana

On July 24,2006 narcotics agents raided the residence of a friend of mine. Arrested in the raid was myself and him. The police found a little less than 3 grams of crack cocaine, some paraphanellia, a loaded .380 semi-automatic pistol, and $1,400 cash. Upon my arrest I cooperated fully. I was charged with a Class B Dealing in Cocaine my co-defendant was charged with Dealing in Cocaine, and well as Maintaining a Common Nuisanace. Also mentioned in the indictment was Use of a firearm in a controlled substance offense. My bond was originally set at $3,000, with a $30,000 surety . They reduced my bond to $1,000, and I posted bond. My background, I have no prior felonies, or misdemeanors. I'm a college student with a 3.5 overall GPA, I'm involved on campus etc. I don't have a record as a minor either. My public defender has said the deal he will try to get me is a plea for a Class D Possession and 2 years probation. After the probation has been completed successfully, you can petition the court for misdemeanor treatment. He says he doesn't know how likely it is he will get it, but he will "work on it". I have also contacted a private attorney, who paints a a similiar picture, though he is confident in getting the plea. He wants $3,000 to $5,000. He has agreed to work of my bond money, but needs a retainer of $500. I just plain don't have the money to retain a lawyer, and was wondering would retaining a lawyer, be a waste of money, and would I probably get the same deal with the PD? Everyone tells me I'm wasting money on a first offense. I'm a bit nervous, and to me getting misdemeanor treatment would be like getting a second chance. The private attorney said he knows the chief prosecuting attorney for the county personally and usually gets the deals he wants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">