• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

convicted felon needing employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unonesock

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My husband is a convicted felon and will be released from prison soon. I am needing to know how the law works when it comes to felons getting employment. We have children and finacially we both will need to work. Will he be able to get a job (not at a fast food resturant) or is this going to another struggle we got to go through?

fairisfair

there is no "law" when it comes to employing felons (generally speaking). Many employers ask for disclosure of criminal history, and many take that history into consideration in making employment decisions. Every state has different regulations regarding the use of criminal history in employment decisions. Yes, basically, it will most likely be another hurdle that your husband (and your family) will have to overcome.

AL HR

Also, it depends on what the felony was for, and what type job he is looking to secure. I work for a bank in HR. If you have a felony conviction for anything relating to money (check kiting, laundering, etc) I can't and won't hire you. However, if it was for something else that wouldn't impact either our banking operation, or customer service, then I will look at it on a case by case basis. Violent crimes, especially if they were recent are a much tougher sell to a potential employer, where other felonies may not be.

Beth3

I am needing to know how the law works when it comes to felons getting employment. It the same as for everybody else. Once he's released, your husband needs to start applying for jobs that fit his qualifications and skills and hope he's called for an interview.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">