• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conflict of interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

casurfer

What is the name of your state? California

I am looking for information regarding attorney conflict of interest in California. It is my belief that my partner's lawyer should have declined to represent him in a recent palimony suit filed by his ex-girlfriend. The lawyer had represented the ex-GF in a child custody case against her ex-husband. Prior to the suit, the lawyer was involved with them socially and had the ex-GF to his house for a social event six months before the palimony suit was filed (and after their relationship had dissolved). In reviewing the details of the case with my partner, we both agree that his lawyer handled the case poorly, causing it to drag on longer than necessary and costing him a great deal both personally (stress etc) and economically. Is this a cut and dry case of conflict of interest? Should he have declined to represent my partner? At the time, my partner naively thought it was okay for him to represent him. He was also so overwhelmed by the situation that I believe his judgement was affected. Any suggestions on whether this is blatantly unethical or just a case of poor judgement on the part of his lawyer would be sincerely appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">