• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jane_s611

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am currently employed as a nurse in a hospital, and have been there for the past 5 years. Throughout my employment I have had only one problem with one person who happens to be my supervisor. She had left for a year, in which time I had no complaints file against me, yet it has been 2 weeks since she has returned and since then I have been reported to the CO twice. This is very unsually since she has been the only one to report me in the whole 5 years I have worked for the company and all my previous evaluations have shown satisfactory work. Both circumstances for the disciplinary forms that have been made against me have been invalid and slanderous. I have already attended a disciplinary meeting for the first incident and the CO has found me to have done my job properly and the allegations to be false. I will be attending the second meeting at the end of this week and would like to present a case of racial discrimination in my department as well as slander. The supervisor released issues pertaining to my disciplinary report to other nurses implimenting me as discriminatory against blind people. I believe this information should have been kept confidential and since there is no valid proof on the alligation this is slanderous and defames my reputation with patients. I believe I am being singled out because I am hispanic. Since I have worked in this department, she has only fired hispanics. The department has shown favoritism to other nurses with the same education and experiences as myself but who are caucasion. I have heard many stories from those who have been let go on the reasons why, and have witnessed first hand that certain nurses who are white have done the same actions with no repercussions. I believe it is my time to be forced out and would like to change the continued line of events. Do I have a case against my employer on racial discrimination and slander? If so, what documentation will I have to acquire in order to be prepared for the meeting?

ecmst12

Never said I was a lawyer, doesn't mean I'm not right. One can't take legal action against an employer for discrimination until they have a "right to sue" letter from the EEOC, so the first step is always contacting them. Don't be bitter just because you don't get to win the lawsuit lottery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">