• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MEO drug testing required w/o operating?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wartrace

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

The company I work for has a Mobile equipment operator physical required for anyone who operates mobile equipment inside the plant.
The Union is negotiating their new contract and they complained that "some" supervisors and other staff people use mobile equipment so we should be included. The company agreed to include the supervisors and only one other staff group (machine set-up). I am in the machine set-up group.
I ride a bicycle in the plant, I am not required to EVER use any piece of mobile equipment. In the five years I have been on the job I have NEVER used any mobile equipment.
The company is not requiring contractors to submit to testing and they make up at least 50% of the mobile equipment in the plant. They are not testing people at the corporate office that use company credit cards to rent cars on business trips.
I really feel they are violating my privacy rights by requiring me to submit or lose my job. I am not in a job that uses mobile equipment, yet I have been thrown into the testing pool. There are other staff people who do use mobile equipment such as golf carts and cushman electric carts that are not required to submit.
I took a drug screen when I first hired in 15 years ago. I have used a grand total of 4 sick days in the past 15 years. I have always showed up sober and ready to work. I have always received above average performance reviews. I feel they are overstepping their bounds by making this new work requirement. Other people I have spoken to feel the same way but are afraid to say something (as part of a group) to defend our rights.
Is it legal to require a yearly drug test to operate mobile equipment when your job doesn't require mobile equipment use?

fairisfair

it is legal to require anyone to take a drug test, unless it is contrary to an employment contract, or the unless drug testing is based on belonging to one of the classes that make discrimination illegal (race, gender, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">