• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

turn-right on red ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecaep5791

What is the name of your state? california

Hello,

I got a ticket for a violation of turn-right on red. I tried to get home as soon as I could on that day because I forgot to turned off my cooking-stove, and the camera caught me for that violation.

If I go to the court and ask the judge to reduce the fine, do you think the judge will reduce the fine?

Thanks for your help!

BC

Some Random Guy

So your excuse for erratic driving was that you were distracted by other events and were not paying attention?

How is that supposed to make it better?

You can try that excuse with the judge, but its entirely hs decision whether to be lenient.

CdwJava

Depending on the rules of the local court, the fines are generally set pretty much in stone. The court's flexibility might come in the imposition of associated court or processing fees. You might also consider asking for traffic school to avoid the extra hit on your insurance rates later on.

- Carl

Pugilist

First step: Make sure it's a real ticket!

Your very first step should be to make sure it's a real ticket. Many CA police department's send out fake red light camera tickets. You can recognize the fakes because they don't have the court's name and address on them.

To get more info about the fakes, and "red light camera tickets" in general, Google that phrase.

Pug

ecaep5791

Thanks Pug!

It had the real court's name and address, and I also realized it right after the camera caught me on that day because I saw the flashlight from the camera via my car's mirror at that time.

I already set up a court appointment. It was just because many people said that if I got a red light camera ticket, about 99%, the judge would not reduce the fine. That's why I'm trying to look for some advice from all of you to decide whether I should pay the fine now and don't waste the judge's time and my time on that or wait undtil the judge making the decision.

Thanks for your advice!
BC

Pugilist

I am assuming that the "court appointment" you referred to is for an arraignment, NOT a not-guilty trial.

Some judges - many more than 1% - routinely reduce the fines. No judge ever increases it. So, you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose (except your time), by going to an arraignment in front of a judge. Notice that I said arraignment. That is because some judges deny traffic school to those who have pled not guilty and are before them for a trial.

Please also do the Google.

Pug

ecaep5791

Thanks again Pug!

Yeah, this is not a not-guilty trial. I admit the violation.

I will do the google later on today.

Thanks for your helpful advice!
BC

ecaep5791

Turn-right on red ticket

Hi everyone,

Just let you all know that I went to a court arraignment last tuesday, and the judge said I only needed to pay $100.00 fine instead of $351.00.

$351.00 was the fine for those who had a red light violation when they drove straight. $100.00 was the fine for those who made a right turn on red.

So when the red light violation ticket sent out, they always put $351.00 for the fine. If I did not go to the court arraignment, I would not know this and paid more money than I should.

While I was in the court arraignment, I saw many people who had go-straight on red light ticket and the judge would not reduce the fine for any of those when they pled guilty. He said that was the fixed fine, and no one can reduce or increase it.

So for me, If anyone who had a go-straight on red light ticket and would plead guilty, I would suggest not to go to the court arraignment, unless you need more time to make the payment (the judge may give you up to two months to pay the fine (pay one time only)), or if you don't have money to pay the fine, the judge may give you up to 36 hours of voluntary work to cover the fine ($10.00 for an hour of voluntary work) if you are not working more than 20 hours a week.

There was only one girl who had go-straight on red ticket, but she pled not guilty and the judge took a quick look on the evidence on his computer and he said the evidence was not clear, so he dismissed the fine.

Some other people pled not guilty for go-straight on red light ticket, and the judge also took a quick look at the evidence from his computer and said the evidence was not clear, so he would set up a trial for that person.

So basically, the other girl was so lucky.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who helped me.
BC

Pugilist

But, but, but.... Did you get traffic school?

Ok you escaped with a low fine, but did you get traffic school? Because if you did not, you will have a point on your record and your insurance could be affected.

Pug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">