• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment maze

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ruizb

After being awarded a judgement in a Michigan small claim court I returned to fill a request for garnishment from the employer of the defendant. I got 2 documents, each with multiple copies, from a civil division clerk. One form is a "request and writ for garnishment (periodic)", the other a "garnishee disclosure". The clerk told me that all instructions are on the forms themselves, but there are details missing.
The questions I have are:
(a) It seems that I have to send all garnishee disclosure copies by certified mail for the employer to fill out and distribute copies to me, the court and the defendant. Is this correct? If so, then all I need to fill out on the disclosure form itself before sending it is my name & address, the defendant's name & address and the garnishee's name & address, right?
(b) I imagine I should mail the employer the disclosure TOGETHER with the writ for periodic garnishment copy marked 'garnishee' so that they KNOW which garnishment case it is all about. Is this right?
(c) The instructions on the writ say the plaintiff "must provie 2 copies of this writ, and $6.00 disclosure fee for serving on the garnishee." The writ has copies marked as "garnishee", "defendant", "return (proof of service)" and "plaintiff (proof)". Which copies do I send and where? Whether I have to pay $6.00, to whom, and how (by check?) is not clear. I thought the serving is being done by me.

Thanks SO much for your help!

J

JenniferH

Reread the directions on the forms. Fill out as they to do. If there is a problem, then you will hear from the court.

or

fill out forms, take back to court, ask clerk if you filled out right, ask some questions: certi. mail, the ones you posted, and see if she won't help you.

Good Luck,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">