• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lot owned by individual

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TitleProblem

What is the name of your state? OK

A family member wishes to have a home built on a piece of property for sale by an individual rather than held by a developer. We foresee that the builder would not want to purchase the lot outright prior to the start of construction. The family member does not have the full purchase price of the lot available nor the ability to fund the construction phase of the project. He has been preapproved for a mortgage which exceeds the value of the completed home and the lot.

I would be willing to hold title to the property until sale of the structure to the family member and receive payment from the mortgage on the completed home 8-10 months from now. I suspect that a builder would not construct a house on a lot that he did not "own".

I would be willing to grant the builder a minor (<50% ownership) interest in the property equal to the value of the ernest money in the contract (i.e property value $50,000, ernest money $10,000 = 20% interest in the lot). The $10,000 amount is greater than the amount of ernest money normally sought. What problems might crop up in this?

Is it possible and feasible for us to purchase the lot from the current owner and sell the lot to the builder such that payment for the lot would come due at the time of closing of the sale of the home (and no later than some specific time period) and protect our investment?

I am concerned about the construction beginning and the builder declaring bankruptcy prior to completion of the home. If that were to happen, we would want to have title to the property and any improvements to that time immediately return to us (a secured loan that could not be discharged by bankruptcy and the property could not be attached to be used as payment of other debts). I would be willing to "lose" the ernest money. I would be willing to complete the house using another builder and pay the mechanics liens from the mortgage.

What is a better/safer process to accomplish this?

Thanks!

nextwife

What is the name of your state? OK

A family member wishes to have a home built on a piece of property for sale by an individual rather than held by a developer. We foresee that the builder would not want to purchase the lot outright prior to the start of construction. The family member does not have the full purchase price of the lot available nor the ability to fund the construction phase of the project. He has been preapproved for a mortgage which exceeds the value of the completed home and the lot.

I would be willing to hold title to the property until sale of the structure to the family member and receive payment from the mortgage on the completed home 8-10 months from now. I suspect that a builder would not construct a house on a lot that he did not "own".

I would be willing to grant the builder a minor (<50% ownership) interest in the property equal to the value of the ernest money in the contract (i.e property value $50,000, ernest money $10,000 = 20% interest in the lot). The $10,000 amount is greater than the amount of ernest money normally sought. What problems might crop up in this?

Is it possible and feasible for us to purchase the lot from the current owner and sell the lot to the builder such that payment for the lot would come due at the time of closing of the sale of the home (and no later than some specific time period) and protect our investment?

I am concerned about the construction beginning and the builder declaring bankruptcy prior to completion of the home. If that were to happen, we would want to have title to the property and any improvements to that time immediately return to us (a secured loan that could not be discharged by bankruptcy and the property could not be attached to be used as payment of other debts). I would be willing to "lose" the ernest money. I would be willing to complete the house using another builder and pay the mechanics liens from the mortgage.

What is a better/safer process to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Why does a builder have to OWN the lot at all? Why can't the buyer get a lot/contruction loan, and have a builder build on their lot after closing on the construction loan, and have the title company do the construction draws/disbursements and arrange inspections at each draw? I see zillions of transactions in which buyes find scattered site lots, buy them on a lot loan, then get a contruction loan in which they contract with a builder to put a house they want on THEIR lot.

TitleProblem

Thank you for your reply.

I would expect the qualification for construction loans to be more restrictive from those for mortgages. Is this not the case?

I am confused as to why the title company is involved at all. I could understand the bank funding the construction loan.

My son likely could not qualify for a construction loan. I could fund 50-75% of the total lot and construction costs from my cash on hand. I could qualify for a home equity line of credit to cover the remaining costs but would prefer not to tie up that asset.

I have previously been bitten by a contractor being paid for work not performed by a savings and loan (30+ years ago) without obtaining releases from us or any verification by the bank that the work was performed. I am concerned about not repeating that fiasco (sued the bank and won).

I live in the same state but a different community several hours away. How important is is for any attorney, bank, etc. involved in this transaction to be in the community where the home is being constructed?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">