• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drainage problem in new development

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elstafford

What is the name of your state? KY

My home was built in 2002 as part of a subdivision. There is a drain easement that centers at the edge of my property and is supposed to extend 10 feet into the backyard. My problem is that, during a recent downpour, it extended an additional 50 feet into my finished basement -- about 11 inches deep.

To me the layman, this stems from the fact that exactly 3 drains dump into the part of the development that includes my backyard, with only one small drain to carry that water away. Even after moderate rainfall, the water does not properly drain, and collects in the yard. It simply isn't an adequate solution. The builder was "encouraged" by the County Fiscal Court to correct the problem, but he basically just moved some dirt around and mowed the tall grass. To my knowledge, the Fiscal Court did not send a representative to survey his work.

This event has resulted in a pretty substantial property loss, due to the ruined carpet and electronics. Recovering those expenses would be nice, but it's more important to know how to go about re-finishing my basement -- whether I should renovate in preparation for another flood. I simply do not know who to blame or where to turn.

weenor

What is the name of your state? KY

My home was built in 2002 as part of a subdivision. There is a drain easement that centers at the edge of my property and is supposed to extend 10 feet into the backyard. My problem is that, during a recent downpour, it extended an additional 50 feet into my finished basement -- about 11 inches deep.

To me the layman, this stems from the fact that exactly 3 drains dump into the part of the development that includes my backyard, with only one small drain to carry that water away. Even after moderate rainfall, the water does not properly drain, and collects in the yard. It simply isn't an adequate solution. The builder was "encouraged" by the County Fiscal Court to correct the problem, but he basically just moved some dirt around and mowed the tall grass. To my knowledge, the Fiscal Court did not send a representative to survey his work.

This event has resulted in a pretty substantial property loss, due to the ruined carpet and electronics. Recovering those expenses would be nice, but it's more important to know how to go about re-finishing my basement -- whether I should renovate in preparation for another flood. I simply do not know who to blame or where to turn.

Go to the County and/or local planning commission first because they gave the approval for the subdivison drain plan. Find out if the plan was followed by the developer and/or altered by the builder. Someone along that chain will be responsible for the drainage situation.

songboat

responsability

Let me know if you find any local support for you situation. I have been completely unrepresented by any official or agency of the Government. My County has a planning and zoning board. I contacted one of the members early on. He came over and look at my situation. He stated that he could not help me because they only represent new commercial development. Not residential issues. I have to say he was a real nice fellow. The fact that he addressed my issue at all was more than I have received by the City building administrator. This has mentally consumed my mind. It is right in my face at all times. I continue to suffer allegations that have no basis. I am not taking any more mental, physical of financial abuse. They will be well aware that I can comprehend and represent myself according to the law now that I am confidence that I will represent my best interests to the highest degree of my intelligence.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">