• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can these people be made to pay me back?

• Thread starter Patricia Haines
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Patricia Haines

I live in Phoenix, AZ. After inheriting a bit of money from my father's estate, I found out that I have many more friends than I thought. To make a long story short, these so-called "friends" had absolutely no problems borrowing my money. However, almost every one of them are having a hard time when it comes to paying me back. I have almost $10,000 lent out to various people, almost all of whom are avoiding me now. I've asked for repayment or when they can start to repay and all I get are excuses. In fact, some of these "friends" have been down-right hostile with me. Is there any recourse? Unfortunately, I only made two of them sign hand-written IOUs. The biggest loan I made totalled $5,000 (he signed an IOU) and the smallest is $340 (she didn't).

LegalBeagle

Patricia Haines said:
I live in Phoenix, AZ. After inheriting a bit of money from my father's estate, I found out that I have many more friends than I thought. To make a long story short, these so-called "friends" had absolutely no problems borrowing my money. However, almost every one of them are having a hard time when it comes to paying me back. I have almost $10,000 lent out to various people, almost all of whom are avoiding me now. I've asked for repayment or when they can start to repay and all I get are excuses. In fact, some of these "friends" have been down-right hostile with me. Is there any recourse? Unfortunately, I only made two of them sign hand-written IOUs. The biggest loan I made totalled $5,000 (he signed an IOU) and the smallest is $340 (she didn't).

and what lesson have you learned from this experience ? All I think you can do it take your chances in Small Claims Court..

HomeGuru

Patricia Haines said:

HomeGuru response: file court action against every single one. The ones that you do not have IOU's for, I hope you have cash receipts or cancelled checks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">