• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA State Referee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennjennalyn

What is the name of your state? California

I am preparing to purchase a car from a private party, but there are a few complications that I need to straighten out before I sign any paperwork.

I am in the process of buying a 2000 honda civic. The thing is, is that the owner received a fix it ticket that requires him to make an appt with the state referee. Basically, when he was pulled over, the cop said that his car is not street legal. The state in which I am buying the car though, is different from how he got pulled over. He basically stripped the car, so I am now just buying the shell (no engine). So the whole state referee thing, is that my responisibility, or his responsibility since HE was the one who received the citation? And if it is his responsibilty, should he even be selling the car to me yet? Should I wait until the car is legit? And I know that there are fees involved with state refs… and he would be the paying, right? Or myself?

In return, he is buying my car. So, basically this whole transaction is a trade, but shell for shell, no engines.

Also since I am selling my car to him, do I need to have my car smogged? I had it smogged when I first got the car which was november 2005.

Thanks in advance to whoever responds!

-Jenn

CdwJava

In CA the registration must be clear before the title can be transferred. You might want to go into the DMV with the situation and ask them what needs to be done. Look into "salvaging" the vehicle (I am not sure of the exact process), as it might be what you have to do if the car has been effectively junked. He might still have to have a referee, the DMV, or the CHP inspect the car to determine if it is indeed junk.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">