• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A long, sad story...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Captain Awesome

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Quite a while ago, a friend of mine was pulled over with myself and another friend in the car. The driving friend, Eric, was in possesion of 1/8 ounce of marijuana. I was in possesion of a bong. The other friend, Mike, was not in possesion of anything, but is a minor. Myself and Eric, however, are both legal adults. We were going to 7-11 at 3:00 AM after a hard night of smoking pot, looking for some delicious snacks when we were pulled over by (who else?) the police. We were searched, the drugs and bong were found, and myself and Eric were both given citations, his for possesion, mine for possesion of drug paraphernalia. The police cuffed Mike, and put him in their car (he spent the night in juvy, later was picked up by his mother). Eric and I were apparently not out of the woods, however.

The police started asking us from whom we had purchased the drugs. We refused to give more than a first name. They proceeded to tell us that it was in our best interest to comply because they had us with distributing marijuana to a minor, which is apparently a class A felony. They gave us a card and a phone number of someone to talk to the next day who would be able to keep our sorry asses from going to jail.

The next day comes, and bright and early Eric and I make our way to the police station to talk with Detective Smith. He tells us that our only way out is to work for him... doing what, you ask? Being a narc. He wanted us to do supervised "buys" from dealers so they could bust them, of course.

Neither of us wanted anything to do with this. Obviously.

So here's where I am now. It has been months since the "incident" (if memory serves me correctly, 4 or 5 months) and I have so far been able to avoid complying with the police entirely. The night that the incident occurred, I recieved one citation for possesion of drug paraphernalia and a receipt for the bong they confiscated. I recieved no other papers or citations. My citation for PDP was dismissed on my court date because they couldn't find their copy of the citation (lucked out!), but I still find myself very confused about my other situation.

Please help! I don't know where to go from here, and I don't want to end up with a felony on my record... If there's some missing key piece of information, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The Occultist

Not legal advice exactly, but just a warning that becoming a snitch in lieu of court-punishment does not work out in your favor and you will end up getting screwed over.

2901bruce

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Quite a while ago, a friend of mine was pulled over with myself and another friend in the car. The driving friend, Eric, was in possesion of 1/8 ounce of marijuana. I was in possesion of a bong. The other friend, Mike, was not in possesion of anything, but is a minor. Myself and Eric, however, are both legal adults. We were going to 7-11 at 3:00 AM after a hard night of smoking pot, looking for some delicious snacks when we were pulled over by (who else?) the police. We were searched, the drugs and bong were found, and myself and Eric were both given citations, his for possesion, mine for possesion of drug paraphernalia. The police cuffed Mike, and put him in their car (he spent the night in juvy, later was picked up by his mother). Eric and I were apparently not out of the woods, however.

The police started asking us from whom we had purchased the drugs. We refused to give more than a first name. They proceeded to tell us that it was in our best interest to comply because they had us with distributing marijuana to a minor, which is apparently a class A felony. They gave us a card and a phone number of someone to talk to the next day who would be able to keep our sorry asses from going to jail.

The next day comes, and bright and early Eric and I make our way to the police station to talk with Detective Smith. He tells us that our only way out is to work for him... doing what, you ask? Being a narc. He wanted us to do supervised "buys" from dealers so they could bust them, of course.

Neither of us wanted anything to do with this. Obviously.

So here's where I am now. It has been months since the "incident" (if memory serves me correctly, 4 or 5 months) and I have so far been able to avoid complying with the police entirely. The night that the incident occurred, I recieved one citation for possesion of drug paraphernalia and a receipt for the bong they confiscated. I recieved no other papers or citations. My citation for PDP was dismissed on my court date because they couldn't find their copy of the citation (lucked out!), but I still find myself very confused about my other situation.

Please help! I don't know where to go from here, and I don't want to end up with a felony on my record... If there's some missing key piece of information, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Hey Captain Awsome! How many of your friends & family members have you "set-up", so far?? Just kidding. Get a lawyer & cease speaking to this IDIOT detective. And, never, ever, be a snitch for law enforcement! Once you end up getting "smoked", they just find another "Mo Mo" to snitch for them.

Last edited:

c_hayhurst

Don't do it!

Get a lawyer!!!!!

Chances are the cops are just scaring you with the possibility of being charged with the felony. They are doing this for 2 reasons:

1) You don't have a lawyer to tell them to **** off (in nice, polite legalese, of course), and
2) They know there is little chance of you getting convicted on the charge, but they will scare you with it to get you to "work" for them.

***Be careful if you think you can call their bluff, though. If you even get CHARGED with a felony, your life will be ruined, regardless whether or not the charge gets dropped or plea bargained. I say this from the vangtage of trying to obtain professional certifications such as Stockbroker, Loan Officer, Child Care Provider, Government Worker (you don't want to be one of these, anyway), Teacher, Politician, possibly a military career is jeopardized, etc.

So, get a lawyer no matter how much it will cost you. The cops will handle your case much differently than if you have no lawyer.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">