• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! Sold my boat, buyer is threatening me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweeneyd1

I sold my boat three weeks ago. The boat was used once two summers ago and not at all this summer. Two summers ago there were problems with it, so I had a marina check it out and they said I need a new water pump and a tune up. I didnt have the work done, but I told the buyer all of this information. Since the inspection at the marina, I havent run the boat at all. The buyer checked out the boat with his friend who was a mechanic. The boats blue book value is 4000, and I sold it to him for 1500, making sure he new that there were issues with the boat. He called me the other day to tell me that the engine block was cracked and he wanted to make restitution. Do I legally owe him anything? The boat was sold in New Hampshire.

genivieve

The boats blue book value is 4000, and I sold it to him for 1500,
1. The blue book you find on the internet or buy in Walmart is for idiots. It is put out there to make you the consumer pay more the a vehicle than what it is worth. But it also give the individual seller the notion that their car/boat/rv is worth a million. Its all a scam presented to the public by the car world. No one ever gets or pays blue book value. That is unless your really short on sense and brought a tube of KY with you when you bought the item.

The real NADA book which is yellow is sold only at auctions to dealers only. It contains trade in referred to as "sucker the buyer and make a gross profit on a free vehicle", wholesale price "Haha I stole it at the auction and am going to make a killing", and of course retail --- "What the car is really worth in the market, but not the price your are going to be shown"

2. Did you sell the boat "as is" as in receipt? On the receipt did you list the boat as needing such and such a repair? And since we are going in this direction-- Did you even have the boat winterized? Cracked blocks are usually caused by 1. overheating due to water pump, 2.freezing due to no antifreeze placed in the block during winter 3. Or doing 360's with the boat when is it liquid cooled, thus the water being displaced to cool the motor causing overheating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">