• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facing a lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carpool99

What is the name of your state? Colorado

A contractor believes I owe him money and has sent me a notice of intent to file a lien. I do not believe I owe him any money. What opportunity do I have to fight the lien before or after it is filed?

HappyHusband

What is the name of your state? Colorado

A contractor believes I owe him money and has sent me a notice of intent to file a lien. I do not believe I owe him any money. What opportunity do I have to fight the lien before or after it is filed?
You could pay the disputed amount to prevent the lien, and then take him to small claims (depending on the amount) to recover that amount.

Or, after the lien is filed, you can ignore it until it expires or the contractor gets tired of renewing it.
Not recommended if you intend to sell in the next few years.

google Colorado mechanic's liens

danno6925

There's always the baseball bat and heavy chain intimidation method, but IMO I would stick with happy hubby's correct answer if you wanna stay outta jail.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">