• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder's Warranty question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JernAng

What is the name of your state? Montana

We moved into a new construction home a year ago this month. The home was purchased from the builder and since he received his money, his true character (or lack of) came through and we have heard very little from him. Earlier in the year we had to hire another contractor to finish some work that he left unfinished and went after him in small claims court for the reimbursement of those charges (he settled with us before the trial).

Now, it's almost been a year and though he promised us a final walk-through, it's obvious that he has no intentions of doing one. And even if he does, I really doubt he'll follow up on any of the repairs. I do not have paperwork from him with a guarantee that he will do this one-year walk through. Is he required to make a final walk-through? Is there anything we can do that will force him to do the walk-through and follow up on the repairs? The one-year anniversary is coming up within a couple weeks, so we're really getting worried about this...

Thanks,

Jer

weenor

It all depends on what the contract and/or warranties state. If there is no provision providing for a walk through, send him a certified (return receipt) letter advising of every single problem you think violates the warranty. Please note that some of the items may arguably be wear and tear and not defective work. Write all down anyway so that you can show he has received written and has been given the opportunity to repair the problems.

CraigFL

I know exactly how you feel... In a perfect world, the walk-thru is a way to assure the customer is satisfied with the builders work. I suspect the two of you are not on friendly terms and he will not be walking thru to see what needs to be done yet. You've already used the court system to get what you should have and I think you will be doing this again. You could ask him nicely to see if he wants to but if he's anything like the horses *** I had it won't be worth the effort. Have a professional walk thru and confirm the list and send it to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">