• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California - loaned money by email. Now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MishaSM

I live in Southern California (Torrance). I was contacted on-line by a friend and agreed to loan money. Wired money to friend in Northern California (Rio Dell by Eureka). Friend has not repaid loan and ignores all my attempts at contact. Am planning to go through small claims court. I don't know what venue to use due to distance and nature of agreement. Any suggestions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MishaSM said:
I live in Southern California (Torrance). I was contacted on-line by a friend and agreed to loan money. Wired money to friend in Northern California (Rio Dell by Eureka). Friend has not repaid loan and ignores all my attempts at contact. Am planning to go through small claims court. I don't know what venue to use due to distance and nature of agreement. Any suggestions?
My response:

The request was received by you in Torrance. The offer of money was typed into your computer in Torrance. The acceptance of the loan was received by you in Torrance. The wiring of the money was made from Torrance.

Guess where the lawsuit should be filed ?

Here's a hint: TORRANCE !!

IAAL

JETX

One more thought on your post....

Be sure to print out all of the email (from both of you) supporting your claim of this being a loan. DO IT NOW!!!
I have heard of several cases where potential evidence was 'lost' when a computer crashed and took all the 'proof' with it.

So print it out now!! Start a file on the case and keep ALL correspondence in it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">