• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My third Speeding ticket...please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jordan30189

What is the name of your state? Jasper GA

I’m 20 years old and I just received my third speeding ticket:eek: for 78 (23 over) in a55 MPH ZONE. At the time I didn’t know I was speeding but now I do and I don’t want to go to court to fight it. I am just worried about getting my licenses suspended:( . I’m a college student on my way to a carrier in law enforcement and that just wouldn't help me out at all. My first speeding ticket was about 1year 6 months ago for 19 over and my second was just 8 months ago for 16 over. Thanks for any help you can give me:)

sukharev

My advice (somewhat canned):

1) Check yellow pages for traffic attorneys close to the court. You can talk to them, and not only get free consultation but also figure out how often do they go to this particular court, what is their success rate, etc. Most importantly, you will know the approximate cost for single appearance (ranges from $200 to $1000), as well as if you have to show up together with the lawyer.

2) Don't fear, just figure out if indeed you will loose your license. Count the points you have so far, and add the new ones you will get. If new number is above the limit, you know you will indeed loose the license. To find the point schedule, go to the state DMV website.

3) Check the impact on your insurance. It's likely that third speeding will result in a devastating hike in premiums, and possible loss of coverage. Don't be afraid to ask this question to insurance - they will not act until the ticket posts to your record, and then they will act for sure. Compare 6 years worth of insurance premium hike against the cost to hire a lawyer (see above).

4) In case you do not hire a lawyer, do show up in court, there is still a slim chance officer would not show up. In case he does, be prepared to negotiate before trial (find advice on this forum or internet on plea bargain). During pre-trial negotiation with either officer of DA, it's possible to reduce tickets to non-speeding or non-moving violations, or at the very least to lower speed, which may be less points.

5) Sorry to repeat previous advice. Do slow down in future. If anything, this is your last wake-up call, I hope you know it. Stop making excuses about "not knowing", nobody believes those. Experienced driver knows with good certainty how fast he is going.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">