• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When to yield on a Emergency Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baimare

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I was traveling on a surface street on a divided highway 40 mph speed limit (with trees and plants dividing the median) going North when I saw Emergency Vehicle flashing lights was approaching on the other side of the road going South bound. I did not stop to the right, I just reduced my speed because I was approximately 100 meters to make a left turn on the intersection. I heard that this Emergency Vehicles can jot down vehicle plate numbers. Did I violate anything? I know some laws varies by State. Any idea about this law in California?:confused:

CdwJava

You should be fine. You were on the other half of a divided roadway and did not appear to interfere in any way.

On a slightly related note - and for FYI to others, next year CA will have a "move over" law similar to those in many other states where passersby will have to move to another lane and slow down as necessary for officers engaged on the side of a road to give them a safe zone.

-Carl

baimare

You should be fine. You were on the other half of a divided roadway and did not appear to interfere in any way.

On a slightly related note - and for FYI to others, next year CA will have a "move over" law similar to those in many other states where passersby will have to move to another lane and slow down as necessary for officers engaged on the side of a road to give them a safe zone.

-Carl
Thank you for your response. I usually yield or move to the right if there were no division of plants and trees in the middle of the highway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">