• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Contractor - WA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gml659

What is the name of your state? WA.

Built a home with a GC who was a friend - mistake # 1.

We didn't do a written contract - oral only. Half-way through the project he "flaked out" on me (drugs).

I lost my warranty from him - I think. Plus I have issues with the house - namely a sloping floor in one hall-way.

During construction I paid him his monthly draw. He got audited by WA state - he wasn't paying his taxes - he paid these plus penaltys. He says I owe him taxes on the draws - about 8.8%. The law does say he is to bill customer. When I gave him his draws I assumed they were "final" and thus all taxes were included.

The house took about 10mos longer than promised to build. I was the GC for the last 10mos because he walked off the job. I claim he owes us for rent and interest plus some other incidentals. Plus he reneged on his promise to follow through and build us a complete house - loss of continuity. I look at the GC as more the a sub-contractor. The promise to stick with the project has value. If you were on site for one-half the project I don't believe one-half is owed (less the one-half is due).

As I said previously, we had no written contract. However, he did pull many of the permits in his name. Does this submit him to responsibility?

I am going to see an attorney. I wanted to put this out on the floor for input so when I do see an attorney I can ask pertinent question and have a little more knowledge.

Thank You,

GML

mermaidmama

Check for Liens...m

I'm in WA state too, going thru h*** with builder situation as well. We had 7-8 liens when we moved in so suggest you look at that so you don't get blind-sided. I'd be surprised that you don't have some. There is a lot more I can offer but your lawyer is the best first step. Well, it should have been your very first step before building. Hind sight I know for us too! Best of luck. It is pure H*** to go thru this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">