• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blouwers13

What is the name of your state? michigan
we bought a modular home and the company was also going to be the general contractor to place the home on our property. this was in january 2006. the man that sold the house quit a month or so later. and the account was turned over to different people within the office. they underestimated the cost for the construction proposal and then tried to charge ridiculous fees for other things to make up for it. they wanted to charge $30,000 for a septic and so on.... they drug their feet and delayed in preparing the property for the home. in which case they and I are both paying intrest to companies for this project. my husband got his work transfer 3 months ago. and has no home to live in still. we are now 3 1/2 hours from each other. we decided to fire the contractor (though we still have to buy the house from them) and now our new contractor cant finish the work until the ground freezes (so the trucks dont sink in the property). and then cant finish the septic until after the rainy season in the spring 2007. which by then we will have to pay for an extension on our construction loan. also becuase the orig contractor underestimated fees we are about $15,000 over budget. and they threaten they are going to sue us for the interest they have had to pay because the house has not been paid for in full. speaking of the house. we had it built to accomidate basement stairs. however we can not have a basement becuase of the water table. which they didnt bother to investigate before the house was built. now we have to refab our brand new house before we can live in it. this is just a drop in the bucket of problems. but i am wondering if we are able to sue the old contractors for anything. or is problems just the risk you take when you build. in the mean time my husband is missing out on our 2 1/2 year old becuase we cant afford to drive back and for all the time. and wont be living together until sometime next year. they just seemed to have caused a lot of suffering in numerous ways for our family... along with additional monies that we originally didnt budget for becuase of the old proposal. it just seems like something needs to be done. can people really get away with things like this! thanks brandyWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">