• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sadsuki

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I purchased a 2002 Suzuki XL7 on June 1st, 2006. On June 16th it broke down. We were on interstate 80, so we called the Suzuki road side assistance to come tow us. They had to tow us to a Suzuki dealer/repairman. The closest one was about 100 miles away from where we live. The mechanic there told us my car needed a new engine because there was no oil in the car. I had checked it twice the week before and it was full. The dealer where we bought the car had given us a 30 day warranty on the car. At first the mechanic said that it would be covered under Suzuki's warranty, but every time we talked to him he changed his mind. At first it was all covered, then some labor might not be covered, and now nothing is covered. The mechanic has had my car for four months. During that four months, he has not called us once, has relocated to a different shop, and generally has not been very cooperative. The dealer who sold us the car called the Suzuki autoplex where my car is now to try to figure out what is taking so long, but he pretended to be my husband instead of himself. So my question is, Can I cancel the sale at this point and get my money back or am I stuck waiting this out? Or is there something I should be doing?

moburkes

Your vehicle doesn't appear to qualify for the lemon law, since its not new. Did you have your mechanic check out your vehicle before the purchase? What type of warranty did you purchase on the vehicle? What specifically does it say that it covers?

Sadsuki

The warranty was provided by the dealer. It was not bumper to bumper, but the engine was covered. I do not have the exact warranty information because it is in my car. I did not have it inspected as the dealer told me if I ever had trouble that he would look at the car. Probably wasn't a wise decision.

moburkes

I can't imagine, though, that the warranty covers the engine when the reason for its failure is due to lack of oil.

Sadsuki

I had only had the car for two weeks and only put 400 miles on it. The dealer had changed the oil about a week before I bought the car, so I am pretty sure it had oil in it. There was something wrong with the car. The reason that the mechanic gave me for the repairs not being under warranty was because it should of had four oil changes and they could only find record of two (the vehicle only has 31,000 miles on it).

moburkes

Now, whomever did the last oil change, and didn't add more oil MAY be held responsible, but you'd have to figure out who did that, and then prove it.

Sadsuki

When my car broke down, the oil light did not come on (at any point even after trying to restart my car) and the temperature gage did not show my car getting hot, it just all of a sudden lost the oil. There was no trace of it anywhere in the engine. The mechanic said that usually when that happens there is oil in the tail pipe but there was not any. If the dealers warranty does cover the repair, should there be a time limit on the repair? I am making payments and paying insurance on a car that I have not seen for four months. I am getting a little worried.

Sadsuki

I have some new info to add to the ongoing saga of my Suzuki. We talked to the mechanic yesterday and he said they have been waiting for the dealer to fax the proof of the oil change that he did before he sold the car to me before they can continue with anything. We tried to contact the dealer, but he was gone. I think maybe he is putting it off because he knows he is going to have to pay for my car and doesn't want to.

DRTDEVL

He is not paying for anything... The warranty provider is.

Mechanics sometimes prefer warranty work, because they know they will get paid XXX amount for the job upfront, and can budget their time for maximum benefit.

Sadsuki

Dealer went bankrupt!!!

Well the saga continues. The dealer had offered to trade me for a different car, but the car we test drove was a piece of crap. So he said we would get something better. So I went to the bank where I have my loan on the car and my banker said he would be a third party to talk to the dealer and try to get some straight answers. Well the dealer wanted to know how much it would be to get my car out of the shop where it is located now. I found that information, but then he said he was still going to try to get it covered under warranty. He (the dealer) has given me a car to drive, but it has expired dealer plates. So I tried for the last two weeks to contact him about getting new tags, but he has not been around. I found out today that he has locked his doors and is going out of business. So now how do I get my money back? Any advice is much appreciated!!!!:eek:

msiron

Car is gone for 4 months, mechanic can't fix it? Get a real tech to fix it!

Dealer can't be found until the bank steps in? Expired dealer tags? Not too responsible, are they? ...... and

Mechanics sometimes prefer warranty work, because they know they will get paid XXX amount for the job upfront, and can budget their time for maximum benefit.
What solar system are you from?

Techs NEVER prefer warranty work. Warranty is notorious for raping techs on times.

teflon_jones

The mechanic there told us my car needed a new engine because there was no oil in the car. I had checked it twice the week before and it was full.
I had only had the car for two weeks and only put 400 miles on it. The dealer had changed the oil about a week before I bought the car, so I am pretty sure it had oil in it.
You need to get your story straight. First you say you checked the oil twice the week before, but based on the second post above, it's clear that you never checked the oil level.

Regardless of whatever happened to the car, you need to have a story that makes sense!

Sadsuki

Stop being so literal

Yes I know what I wrote and I did check the oil twice. I was being sarcastic when I wrote "so I am pretty sure it had oil in it". However, I am not sure that the dealer really did change the oil in the car because he has lied about everything else. We did get a lawyer to write the dealer a letter requesting compensation. We will see what happens next.

teflon_jones

Yes I know what I wrote and I did check the oil twice. I was being sarcastic when I wrote "so I am pretty sure it had oil in it". However, I am not sure that the dealer really did change the oil in the car because he has lied about everything else. We did get a lawyer to write the dealer a letter requesting compensation. We will see what happens next.
How am I supposed to take things if not literally? This is a legal forum and the only way to provide accurate answers is to take EVERYTHING literally.

Sadsuki

I need real help

I apologize for being confusing. However, I would like to hear some real advice if any one has some to offer. I have been told by some friends that if the dealer has went bankrupt, I can pretty much forget seeing any money back. Is this true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">