• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallen56

What is the name of your state? Washington

I was hoping for some information on marijuana possession in WA. I'm 18, and I have done it before and knowing myself I could somehow end up doing it again in the future :\ . I have an INSANE fear of jail :p for one thing I don't look 18, I look 15.. maybe younger. (Although I doubt this would mean anything for charges, just saying... Jail would NOT be fun..)

Certain information I was wondering about was like:
- What are the charges for what amounts of marajiuana? In other words, when does it become a felony?
- What is the most likely charge I'd get for possession (not intent to distrubute or anything else, just possession).
- What can you be charged with if you have a pipe, or rolling papers.
- What if the pipe is clean, but has been used before. Like, maybe dots of resin but nothing else? This was a big question of mine, due to the fact I bought the pipe at a cigarette shop on the corner of the street. If they sell it legally, what is the basis of drug perafinalia? This may sound stupid, but I really don't understand all that.

These all arose in my head when my friend got pulled over once, and he had been smoking in the car. I however, had not partaken at all that day. The small amount of weed I DID have was in my shoe, so when I was searched.. it was never found (I was quite surprised he didn't search my shoe!). But this brought some other questsions:

- If I am in the car with a friend of mine, and he is driving me home (I don't have a car), and he begins to smoke marijuana in the car and gets pulled over... What can they charge ME with? Assume I am not in possession at all at the time, and have no partaken at all during that day.

- Do they search your shoes usually when they check you for possession?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I really wanted to post this for my own safety. None of this is to help me "get away" with possession, but is merely for my own saftey so I can make my choices better and understand what I may be doing when entering my friends vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions.What is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

Your kidding, right? You have an *INSANE* fear of jail, yet admit that you will continue to smoke. You now want us to tell you the best way to continue to break the law?

CdwJava

Easy answer: Don't smoke weed or don't go out after smoking weed. Additionally, do not allow friends and associates to carry or smoke marijuana in your presence or your vehicle ... I would have thought this to be a no-brainer.

- Carl

Fallen56

I just want to know the Washington law for this stuff. I was reading the other threads, and I noticed there was a lot of people who knew a lot about the law for these circumstances. I've looked on the internet and such, but it's all far too complicated for me to find the answers for.
I don't smoke currently, I don't PLAN to smoke. But sadly, I have many friends that do. If anything, I can present them with the answers to the questions I had asked as facts for them to quit.

Also If I know the law, then it will be much easier for me to stop myself from ever ending up doing it in the future. I'm not asking for help on how to get away with it. I only asked about the shoe thing cause that's what my friend does... he says the cops will never catch him that way -_-

Last edited:

Fallen56

Easy answer: Don't smoke weed or don't go out after smoking weed. Additionally, do not allow friends and associates to carry or smoke marijuana in your presence or your vehicle ... I would have thought this to be a no-brainer.

- Carl
When I use to smoke I would NEVER go out after smoking. I would only do it in my own room in my own house.

I stopped smoking when I started to get a very large phobia of jail :p Sounds silly, I guess.. but I am freaked at the thought of going to prison for anything.

And it isn't my vehicle that is beind smoked in. It's my friends, as I don't have a car I end up getting rides from my friends. Some of them smoke when in the car :( I don't, but it's their car. If we got pulled over, would I be charged too? What if we were driving and midway he started smoking, and I didn't even know he was going to?

CdwJava

Fallen56 said:
If we got pulled over, would I be charged too? What if we were driving and midway he started smoking, and I didn't even know he was going to?
You could possibly be arrested for possession if any weed were found in the car.

And do not even TRY to shrug it off and tell the cop that you did not know what they were doing! It's not like they are on the other side of a park, they would be in the car. if your friends want to transport dope or spark up, tell them to let you out. If you are in the car you risk arrest for possession. Possession generally requires knowledge and the potential for control - and in a car, just about everywhere is accessable.

- Carl

Fallen56

Could anyone possibly answer these questions? The state is Washington.

- What are the charges for what amounts of marajiuana? Is it really a felony?
- What is the most likely charge someone would get for possession? (not intent to distrubute or anything else, just possession).
- What can you be charged with if you have a pipe, or rolling papers. I ask this mainly because I roll my own cigarettes. I carry the tabacco in a container with me, but sometimes I end up leaving the papers in my pocket while not taking the container on accident. (You can feel the container in your pocket, since it's big. But you don't really notice a pack of rolling papers)
- What if the pipe is clean, but has been used before. Like, maybe dots of resin but nothing else? This was a big question of mine, due to the fact I bought the pipe at a cigarette shop on the corner of the street. My friend insists that it is legal and fine as long as there isn't a good amount of resin. I wondered if this was true since they sell it legally. What is the basis of drug perafinalia? This may sound stupid, but I really don't understand all that.

I elaborated on the questions so hopefully it doesn't sound like I am "trying to get away" with having marijuana or anything of that sort which was previously said in a comment by someone.

My best friend smokes, and I have known him for a very very long time. He drives me around quite a bit, he doesn't mind as we usually just go to his place and hang out afterwards. However, he does smoke, and smokes in the car. If I can present him with these answers I could possibly get him to quit as I have already.

CdwJava

Fallen56 said:
- What are the charges for what amounts of marajiuana? Is it really a felony?
You can look them up for yourself here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/

You can also search on the internet for the basic info.

- What is the most likely charge someone would get for possession? (not intent to distrubute or anything else, just possession).
Uh ... possession?

See above.

- What can you be charged with if you have a pipe, or rolling papers.
I'm not sure about WA state. Here it is not a crime for a pipe or papers (unless under 18). Again, the answers might be found above.

- What if the pipe is clean, but has been used before. Like, maybe dots of resin but nothing else?
If WA has a crime for marijuana parphernalia, then the residue is what would make it clearly paraphernalia.

My best friend smokes, and I have known him for a very very long time. He drives me around quite a bit, he doesn't mind as we usually just go to his place and hang out afterwards. However, he does smoke, and smokes in the car. If I can present him with these answers I could possibly get him to quit as I have already.
Well, you like playing with fire. Even when I was not a cop, I made a conscious decision to avoid dopers simply to keep myself safe from the associated problems (police, criminals, etc.).

- Carl

Fallen56

Thank you very much for your answers :) And especially for the link! I would avoid "dopers" but around here... 80% of people are :(. I avoid those who do cocaine, heroin, ect.. But, again it's a friend that I have known for nearly 12 years. Marijuana doesn't control his life, but he does it quite frequently. It helps him quite a bit for his migraine / cluster headaches he would get often. Thanks again for the information :)

CdwJava

Fallen56 said:
I would avoid "dopers" but around here... 80% of people are
I think you are exaggerating. Unless you live in a commune in Berkeley, I doub t that 80% of your peers are smoking dope. It might be true that 80% of the people you kick it with are doing so, but it would be an incredible statistical anomaly if 80% of ANY group were toking up.

I became a teen in the mid-70s and I knew plenty of marijuana smokers, but I also knew plenty of people that did not use and those were the people I mainly hung around with.

Anyway, don't be near them when they are smoking or you can get rolled up right along with 'em.

- Carl

Fallen56

I live in a very poor area. At my high school people smoke in the corner of the lunchroom, or sometimes even in the halls (With their head in their locker). We rent off of Low Income housing, from the government, and so wherever we choose isn't going to be the best of places :(. It's weird when even the prep's at school smoke marijuana. 80% is likely an exageration.. But I would say atleast 70% of my highschool does.

Shay-Pari'e

I live in a very poor area. At my high school people smoke in the corner of the lunchroom, or sometimes even in the halls (With their head in their locker). We rent off of Low Income housing, from the government, and so wherever we choose isn't going to be the best of places :(. It's weird when even the prep's at school smoke marijuana. 80% is likely an exageration.. But I would say atleast 70% of my highschool does.
How is this an excuse?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fallen56

How is this an excuse?

How is this an excuse for what? I don't believe I said it was an excuse for anything... Again, I don't smoke...

In any case, thank you Carl for the advice and the link. I was able to find what I wanted to via the link, and I might possibly be able to convince my best friend to no longer smoke :) That way neither of us are at risk of running into trouble with the law. Thanks again.

Shay-Pari'e

How is this an excuse for what? I don't believe I said it was an excuse for anything... Again, I don't smoke...

In any case, thank you Carl for the advice and the link. I was able to find what I wanted to via the link, and I might possibly be able to convince my best friend to no longer smoke :) That way neither of us are at risk of running into trouble with the law. Thanks again.
Let's back track.Fallen56
Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2006

Marijuana Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping for some information on marijuana possession in WA. I'm 18, and I have done it before and knowing myself I could somehow end up doing it again in the future :\ .

Fallen56

Let's back track.Fallen56
Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2006

Marijuana Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping for some information on marijuana possession in WA. I'm 18, and I have done it before and knowing myself I could somehow end up doing it again in the future :\ .
Is there a reason why you are being like this? I come to a forum that is called FreeAdvice, yet I am confronted with posts that hold no advice, just sarcastic remarks. I don't understand why you even post here if you aren't giving advice? Anyone could end up doing anything in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">