• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad wants me to be co-guardian & conservator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applsurg

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Dad is mentally incapacitated and Sister has guardianship & conservatorship. (Ilive in Calif, therefore cannot have full guardianship as not a resident of Mich). He wants me to be added as co-guardian and co-conservator. Do both sis & I then have ability to be reimbursed for expenses pertaining to the maintenance of the guardian/conservatorship as they are accrued?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Dad is mentally incapacitated and Sister has guardianship & conservatorship. (Ilive in Calif, therefore cannot have full guardianship as not a resident of Mich). He wants me to be added as co-guardian and co-conservator.
The ONLY person that can make you a co-guardian is a judge. Moreover, it's never a good idea to have co-guardians for incapaciated adults.
Originally Posted by applsurg
Do both sis & I then have ability to be reimbursed for expenses pertaining to the maintenance of the guardian/conservatorship as they are accrued?
Are you looking to try and "cash in" here? The judge will see right through you. :rolleyes:

applsurg

Dad wants me to be co guardian/conservator

I was shocked by the reply recieved and have sent a private message to Blondie. I didn't feel it would be appropriate to air family info on a public forum. I hope that blondie will reply to my message. We cannot "assume" that all people have ugly agendas.:(

BlondiePB

The OP's PM

I was shocked by the reply recieved and have sent a private message to Blondie. I didn't feel it would be appropriate to air family info on a public forum. (
This is the PM sent by the OP.
I am sending this message to you as I didn't think it would be proper to air my family information on the public forum. Yes, we do realize that the only person that can appoint guardian/co guardian is the judge. I will save my details for the judge when the time comes. You don't know all the facts of our situation, and the fact that you passed an erroneous judgement on me was deameaning ("cashing in"). My sister's husband was struck and killed by a truck last year. She is in the midst of a wrongful death lawsuit and is (understandably)emotionally overwhelmed. She cannot handle the guardian/conservator responsibilites by herself, and has so stated. She did not utilize an atty when she petitioned for the guardianship/conservatorship and did not realize we could both be guardians. Dad has Parkinson's/dementia and has moved into assisted living. It has been very difficult and painful with all of his challenges. My question was that, if being co-guardian, would we BOTH have the ability to pay expenses, as opposed to ONE. You read something into my question that wasn't there. I have since spoken to two Elder Care attys in Mich, and they were in support of my sister and and I being guardians together. They applauded our efforts to have a united front.
I hope thatblondie will reply to my message. We cannot "assume" that all people have ugly agendas.:
When the issue has NOTHING to do about money, is NOT mentiioned. When it comes to family, guardians can live in another state. All guardians/conservators MUST be eligible to be one as not everyone is eligible. If your sister cannot handle her duties, she needs to be discharged.

All pertinent facts are important to properly advise posters.

applsurg

Dad wants me to be co guardian/conservator

I see that your reply was not nice. I tried to be diplomatic, but you insisted on being "mean"also you attempted to make me look like I was "ugly" and I KNEW that you would post my private repsone to you on the public forum. Not PROFESSIONAL at all

BlondiePB

I see that your reply was not nice. I tried to be diplomatic, but you insisted on being "mean"also you attempted to make me look like I was "ugly" and I KNEW that you would post my private repsone to you on the public forum. Not PROFESSIONAL at all
My responses are the truth. Just because you did NOT receive a reply that you wanted hear, you think the replies are not nice. :rolleyes:

Your ONLY "legal" question was "Do both sis & I then have ability to be reimbursed for expenses pertaining to the maintenance of the guardian/conservatorship as they are accrued?"

If you know that only a judge can change the guardianship, why did you play the "sympathy card" about dad's wishes? Then, via PM you state a totally different story. Most people know that changing the story = liar. There's nothing wrong with stating that due to personal circumstances, your sister is having trouble dealing with her guardianship duties.

The answer would still be the same. She needs to be discharged.

You having to annouce to cyberspace that you were sending me a PM was, in your opnion, appropriate and/or "nice"? If you knew that your PM would be placed on the forum, explain to everyone why you sent it.

You're making YOURSELF look ugly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">