• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TAftonomos

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was hoping I would never have to go this route, but there have been some problems arise, and I need some advice.

My Wife nad I signed the contract approx 1 month ago, with a completion date December 15th. So far, contruction has progressed VERY quickly. 3 weeks from footings to slab to basement and 1st floor framed up.

The builder/super told me verbally that the basement would cost $28000, and be stubbed for a bath, as well as have one window and a single door standard. Since we are building a game room down there, that seemed fine to me, although I had him frame up a 72" header on the single door to make installing a double door easier in the future.

2 weeks ago, I recieved a phone call from the builders agent, asking if I wanted a stubbed bath in the basement? Um...yes, we spoke about that, and it comes standard. Nope, she says, it's another $750.

I guess you got me there, and they want me to pay up front. After arguing with them for about 5 minutes, they agree to simply add it to the final price of the house....

Today I notice that there are no windows on the basement, although it is framed up for the double door. I also notice that there is no archway leading to the formal living room off the main foyer. The archway wasn't standard on the model home, although HE TOLD ME it would be standard from now on. Same response about the window downstairs....

"If it wasn't written in the contract, or you didn't pay extra for it, it's not included" Is the response I get out of him. I'm not sure what installing a window entails, but I'm pissed off beyond all belief, as I feel they (builder and agent) are just screwing with me. If they didn't have $3500 for ernist money, and another $2500 for half the upgrades, I'd tell them to take the house and shove it.

I can't afford to walk away from half of my savings (I'm 28) and try and find something else. My wife still lives in FL while the house is being built, and I'm not sure what to do.

Your comments, suggestions are greatly appriciated.

danno6925

"If it wasn't written in the contract, or you didn't pay extra for it, it's not included" Is the response I get out of him.
Hate to say it, but it looks to me like he's right. I can tell you anything you want to hear to get you off of the worksite, but if it isn't made an addendum to the contract in writing, there's no way you can prove it was ever a specification to be followed.

Have each and every alteration to the standard contract you already signed put in writing and presented to your for your approval and signature. Is this your first house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">