• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ketjet

What is the name of your state? Houston TX

Hello there, please I need your advise. I got pulled over yesterday night at 12.30 (at night) I was doing 50 in a 35 mph zone. My daughter needed to go toilet urgently and we stopped near a gas station earlier on the way, but they said their toilet was out of order. As my house was nearby (3 miles) and again as it was very late at night - I thougt I could reach home quickly - I expalined this to the officer but he said you could only spped if you have a medical emergency.

Please advise - I am sure you all must have gone through this.

Regards

Ketan DaveWhat is the name of your state?

The Occultist

Whether or not any of us have gone through a situation has absolutely nothing with how things will turn out in court. You are obviously admitting to speeding, so pleading not guilty should not be an option that you're considering. You can always try talking to the prosecutor and get some sort of plea bargain, but other than that, you don't have too many options. Good luck.

What is the name of your state? Houston TX
Hello there, please I need your advise. I got pulled over yesterday night at 12.30 (at night) I was doing 50 in a 35 mph zone. My daughter needed to go toilet urgently .... I expalined this to the officer but he said you could only spped if you have a medical emergency.
The need to relieve one's self is pressing, of course, but is almost never accepted as an defence for speeding 15 mph over the limit. Some people go by the roadside; some purposly carry a container for such emergencies....or find a McDonald's cup in the car. We all do go through that.

justalayman

poppakeith;1496153]Some people go by the roadside;
that's always good for a ticket or two.

some purposly carry a container for such emergencies....or find a McDonald's cup in the car.
I presume the daughter was young. Getting a young girl to use a cup or such is a tough deal

I would suggest the cop may have not seen the young girl showing any urgency at the time of ticketing.

How did the girl end up anyway? A ticket would take much more time and if things were this urgent I can only guess what happened. If nothing happened then you apparently were making this out to be a bigger deal than what it actually was.

speed justified?

Answer no according law. Pay the ticket and deal with it. Now what you have not said is if there was somewhere (anywhere) she could go. A store home etc. You want to skate on a ticket you earned because of your child needed to use restroom! First where did she go while officer gave you ticket? Next is more a thought for you. If an unknown man is speeding for same reason and causes an accident that harms you or your family is he responsible for damages? By your reasoning no he is not! Think about it!

LSCAP

I agree with Occultist.

Go to court and tell the DA what happened.

I doubt you really knew how fast you were going, but instead concentrated on getting home quickly and safely. If true, admit that.

The ask for a break. He will tell you what he might offer, if anything.

ketjet

Thanks for the replies - I will go and accept it and try and tell them what had happened. By the way, my daughter ended up soiling the car - she could hold no longer. I should have tried to look for another stroe rather than going towards home - but as my house was nearer and it was middle of night - I thought I was doing the right thing by not taking risk of venturing around (we have moved here two months ago)

Thanks again for the advise and replies.

Ketjet

justalayman

Sorry to hear that about your daughter.

As others have posted, it is no legal excuse but I would consider taking it to the judge just the same.

Well actually I wouldn't. I would simply pay the thing but if you want to try to do something about it, I can understand. Hopefully you end up with a judge with young children that can empathize with you.

cepe10

Thanks for the replies - I will go and accept it and try and tell them what had happened. By the way, my daughter ended up soiling the car - she could hold no longer. I should have tried to look for another stroe rather than going towards home - but as my house was nearer and it was middle of night - I thought I was doing the right thing by not taking risk of venturing around (we have moved here two months ago)

Thanks again for the advise and replies.

Ketjet
Just so you know you do not have to testify in court if you plead not guilty, there are plenty of defense strategies available - street may have been posted below the 85% speed, the office may not have had his instrument calibrated according to the case law. I would not just plead guilty unless you know probation before judgement or some other avenue is available

Your insurance is going to go up by 25% so it is a huge impact - even a lawyer would be better to try and not take that hit...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">