• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop at a stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itslate

What is the name of your state? PA.

I was stopped today for failure to stop at a stop sign. Problem is I did stop. I was at an intersection where I was turning left on to a one way street. I clearly remember myself putting full pressure on the brake, stopping and then accelerating.

I was traveling north on a two way street that comes to a dead end to fenced in commercial lot. I stopped and proceeded to turn left on a one way street, as I was turning I saw a police car with his lights flashing exiting the lot facing me (south). I turned in front of him, and pulled over to let him pass. He then decided to stop me. He said he was in pursuit of another car that failed to stop and then I came along.

When he pulled me over I honestly had no idea why. I told him so. He told me I NEVER came to a stop, not even an incomplete stop. What I believe happened is he was watching this other person looking to his right, and didn't see me stop. He kept telling me how he was in pursuit of someone else. And he came out of nowhere.

I've had 2 or 3 tickets in my lifetime and although angry at getting caught, I will admit I was wrong. But what do you do when it's your word against theirs? Lie detector test lol? Am I right to fight this ticket. It's not just the $106 for the ticket but 3 points must mean something to your insurance company. I hate admitting to something I didn't do either.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

cepe10

You have nothing to lose by contesting it. Even asking for leniency or probation is better that the insurance hit...

Perhaps on cross examination you can get the officer to admit to watching the other vehicle etc. and to not being clearly paying attention to if you made your stop within the required distance before the stop sign. Did he even have a clear view with the other offender in front of you???

You also have the chance he will not show and the case will be dismissed for lack of a witness...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">