• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Citation Signature... Is it required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leadfoot

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I just got a speeding ticket tonight, about two hours ago. Ever since coming home I have been scouring the internet in hopes of finding some answers to my questions. I was given a ticket by an officer who decided not to fine me for having expired plates on my car and just gave me my speeding ticket (I have had my real plates for over a month and haven't had time to buy the bolts needed to have them put on the front and rear bumpers of my vehicle yet)... well, he asked me what kind of vehicle I have and I adv him that it is a Chevy Tracker, he had asked me if it was a Trail Blazer.. The short initials he used for the Model are TRA which could be interpreted as either model of Chevy. He also has the address crossed out (written over) to "correct" writing 2500 rather than 2400.. he wrote the 4 over the original number. There is also no signature on the ticket by myself. I was under the impression that a physical signature by the defendant is required as I have received a prior speeding ticket 20 miles away in a different city and was required to sign it. He has all the spaces for my name and the date of the ticket given crossed out. There is no signature by myself and I'm wondering if this is still a valid ticket? Do I have any recourse or do I just pay the fine and have it reduced to a 2 point violation for defective vehicle? Does each city have its own ordinance in terms of signatures on traffic violation tickets?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That issue is interesting and may lead to a juristiction problem for the prosecution, obviously the intent of the law is for the officer to properly serve the summons...

Failure to issue (sign) the summons and complaints
fails to confer jurisdiction upon the Court over the person of the defendant...

see:

http://www.gustafsonlaw.com/Criminal-Jurisd_Attack.htm#Jurisd-Attack-4f

However, you may have better defense strategies as well...
OP *never* said that the officer didn't sign the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">